[3830] SS CW NE9U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jaspers@powercom.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW NE9U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:12:16 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: NE9U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Plover, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  186
   40:   98
   20:   93
   15:   31
   10:   16
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Well, I knew I wasn't going to be able to put in a full time effort, so set my
goal to try and get a sweep  and spend most of Sunday with the family.
Started out the day on Saturday running in a 5K Cross Country race a couple
hours north of here.  It was a match-up vs. my 15 year old son KB9TTO who had
never beaten my in a foot-race.  Well, he kicked my butt by 2 1/2
minutes...guess he got better this year (or dad got older!).

Got home and was able to get on the air about 0000Z.

Shut it down at 0830 Z with 76 of the 80 in the bag....still needed VE2, VO1,
VE6, and KH6.

woke up around 1530 and made a sweep of 20 meters...quickly found VE6 and VO1.
No VE2's or KH6's around.
Pointed the beam east and started running...amazingly within about 10 minutes
had my VE2 (this one always worries me...never seem to be many around)

So now I figure KH6 will be a piece of cake.  Pointed my beam west and made
sweeps of 10,15 and 20.  Nothing!  By now it was 1730 and I hadn't wanted to
spend much time in the shack so hung it up for a while.

Dropped by 2 or 3 more times in the afternoon to sweep the bands but still
nothing I could find.  I started to get worried!  I have a string of 13 coffee
cups (unlucky 13 last year in ssb from W0AIH was tough too...bagged KL7 in the
last hour!)

Finally on my final stop to the shack I started spinning the dial from bottom of
15 and found a lonely sounding KH6NF for #80.  He must have just started yelling
CQ and no one had found him yet.  I decided to listen...within about 2 minutes
it was like a bomb dropped...obviously someone spotted him on packet!
Whew...that was close.

Anyway...not the most effective way to score points (better than a couple of my
79 X 79 years though  :-))).

Me and my son will put in a part time SSB multi effort from home, but then have
to head off to Indiana noonish Sunday to watch a kid from town try and win the
NCAA Division 1 cross country title for the Badgers on Monday (he took 15th as a
freshmen last year).  Oh yes, I have a rematch against KB9TTO on December 4th in
a 5 mile flat road-race.  No hills and solid footing...maybe Dad will have a
chance!