[3830] SS CW VA7RR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW VA7RR Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:15:43 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VA7RR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   85
   40:  322
   20:  300
   15:  257
   10:  265
------------

Club:

Comments:

Thanks to all for the contacts. I operated this one from home (single 72 foot
tower with small monobanders) - the goal has been to try and crack the Top Ten
from this QTH.  It's my third try, and I can't seem to get above 15th or so.
Too many good ops out there!

     It was nice to see ten meters open both days.  Unfortunately, 20 closed
very early (by 01Z)on Saturday, and I was forced down to 40 and 80 for the rest
of the night.  I'm not nearly as competitive on those bands, but 40 was a bit
better for me than that last couple of CW SS weekends.

     Can't believe that I missed NT section - never heard VY1JA, even with
extensive use of the second radio.

     The flare on Sunday was brutal.  Did ok until about 2330, which is when
conditions began to cave. I decided to take my last hour off during the 00Z
hour, thinking that things might improve a bit later.  Wrong - got back on 20 at
01Z, and within 5 minutes almost every signal went from fluttery and ok to
gone.

     Worked only 23 in the last two hours, most of them in EWA and WWA, plus
some California.  Forty was interesting as well, so to speak, opening only down
the West Coast. There were times when the W6 and W7s were reasonably loud and
workable, and other times when there was total blackout with absolutely no
signals.

     Nest contest for me - CW Worldwide CW - I'll be at VE6JY - 20 meter single
band.

73,

Gary  VA7RR