[3830] SS SSB K6LL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6LL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:57:27 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:   72
   40:  496
   20:  448
   15:  786
   10:  169
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I got off to a great start, with hourly rates of 174, 151, 121, 127, 123, 86 and
132. All of the equipment and computers worked perfectly, unlike last year. I
tried a new homebrew headset, based on a top-of-the-line 35 dB industrial
hearing protector. It provided _total_ silence from fan and blower noise, but it
hurt my ears quite a bit. It's promising, but needs more work.

15 meters was great from out here.  10 was great too, with a nice wide footprint
opening, but not very many people showed up. I guess the good old days when
there was a bottomless pit of casual participants to work on 10 are gone for
good. I wonder what happened to all those 25 watt Ranger and Radio Shack 10M
rigs?  There must also be a massive boneyard of roger-beep devices somewhere.

Telnet didn't help much.  It got me a few mults on Saturday, but those mults
showed up later anyway. There weren't too many "fresh meat" spots on Sunday, and
many of those were either in my skip zone, or had big pileups, or both. I saw
myself spotted quite a few times. I always do a SH/DX K6LL on Monday to see who
my spotters were. Thanks, guys!

I didn't do much so2r, because it's too hard for me to do it well in this
contest. Of course, lack of skill doesn't bother some so2r guys. They totally
abandon their run frequency for the better part of a minute, don't respond to
"is the frequency in use?" and then ineptly come smashing back onto the vacated
frequency with a blast of cq's, sometimes obliterating a qso in progress. The
legitimate new occupant of the frequency is then expected to fall over in a
swoon at the royal reappearance! Puhleeze! I know it's hard to listen and
respond to the run radio at all times, but that's what skill and finesse are all
about.

We actually had 30 minutes of rain here in the desert on Sunday!  Naturally, it
caused wicked precipitation static.

No more contests for me until January. Happy holidays, everyone!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.