[3830] SS SSB W8MJ SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8mj@peoplepc.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W8MJ SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:19:53 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 24.0
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  665
   40:  494
   20:  333
   15:  124
   10:    6
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was the first year that I decided to do something different rather then
running my normal Low Power operation.  I have to admit it was nice having the
use of packet for getting those elusive rare hard to get mults such as VY1, KL7,
KH6, and KP2.  You can always count on WP3R, he is always there.  It was
interesting with packet, because I am using a KP-2, and an old Kenwood 2 meter
rig to connect into an area node about 30 miles away as the grow flies.  I
connected into the node about 3 hours before the start of the contest, and stay
connected the entire weekend.  Not once did it drop me out.

Operating HP is certainly different then running Low Power.  You certainly can
have a nicer run frequency with a little more power to the upside.  One thing
that was different this year is that I did not have my 40 meter beam to use.
One of the tunning wires came loose from the back element during the CQWW
contest, and the only way to resolve that is to take it down for repair.
Therefore, I was left with my dipoles to use on 40.  I have one about 35' on the
one tower near the house facing N/S, and another one E/W stretched across the
roof of the house about 20' up.  They seemed to work ok, and I mostly used the
N/S dipole.

When 40 went long early it forced me up on 80 meters.  Eighty is always an
interesting band, you never know what is going to happen.  There are those that
think when they want to turn on their raido to rag chew whatever frequency it is
on, they think it is there's no matter who is operating; or if someone is only a
couple of 100 hz away.  However, I did not have those kind of encounters - thank
God, and found that 80 played very well for me.  I have a dipole about 65' up on
the first main tower with the apex E/W, and another one stretched between a
tower by the house, and the first main tower up about 50' facing NE/SW.  I used
the E/W dipole on the main tower all the time.

Forty played well for me during the day on Sunday, and 20 meters was the saver
band when things slowed up 40.  I remember taking one of my last breaks around
2215Z, and came back down to the shack before 2300Z, and could not find a
frequency on 40 it was so crowded.  I went up to 20, and starting CQing and ran
for the next hour putting 70 q's in the log.  Worked a lot of W6, and W7, but
the rate was nice and steady.  Did not do a lot of SO2R, but mainly used the 2nd
rig when things would slow down on the main run radio.  Ended up with 97 2nd
radio q's.

Overall, as usual, I had a lot of fun, but I have to admit the intensity wears
you out.  I really felt tired at the end.

Equipment: (2) Yaseu FT1000MP MKV Field Radios

Antennas:

Tower (1) Stacked TH7's @ 33'fixed SE, 66' fixed W, and 99' rotating.

Diploe(s) 40 meter, N/S 35', E/W 40'. 80 meter(s) E/W 65', and NE/SE 50'.

Thanks for all the q's.

Ken W8MJ