[3830] SS SSB VA3NR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3nr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VA3NR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:50:18 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VA3NR
Operator(s): VA3NR
Station: VA3NR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
  160:    0
   80:   72
   40:  208
   20:   67
   15:   47
   10:    6
------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Had fun at times.  Planned on a semi-serious QRP effort around family
commitments.  Started out well enough with about 40 Q's in the first 75 minutes
before taking a break for dinner out with the XYL.  It was a different story
when I got back to the rig at 02Z; it took me an hour to complete the next 6
Q's.  Also made about a dozen schedule's for later; well, they said "Try again
later".  Went to bed uncertain of my plans for Sunday.

Up at 11:30Z, I struggled thru 1 QRP QSO and then gave in to the temptation of
the RF PWR knob.  So a special thanks to my first 49 QSO's who pulled out my
signal QRP.  And congrats to the dedicated QRPers who stuck with it.  You have
more patience and willpower (and probably better skills and antennas) than me.
100W on Sunday was productive enough that at least I managed to resist the
temptation of turning on the amp.

Really, many of the guys who can't pick up a QRP signal also have trouble
picking up 100W.  I would listen to them ask for repeats from station after
station that I had perfect copy on.  When you're running with HP, I would hope
you have the filters cranked in tight, AGC fast, minimum attenuation, headphones
on, listening hard for the weak ones.  (I have a mental picture of some of these
characters running the legal limit+,  rx set up ragchew style, listening thru
their rig's internal speaker.)

Well, thanks for the learning experience and each & every Q, especially the hard
ones.  I'll be back.

73, Chris VA3NR

[Mk-V Field, 40M Inv-V at 30', 80M EFHW at 30', HF6V]