[3830] SS SSB VE4GV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VE4GV Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:36:35 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE4GV
Operator(s): VE4GV
Station: VE4GV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MB
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:    1
   40:  379
   20:  798
   15:   95
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

With some trepidation, I embark on another SS Phone quest. The propagation gods
have not been favorable as late, as evidenced by the solar fart in Sunday's SS
CW. Old Sol is a finicky curmudgeon and is usually most responsive up here only
after the ritual VE4 40 below naked tower dance. The weather's been so nice
lately that I thought he may relent. Not so.

10 was non existent - which basically kills any chance of getting really
competitive up here with LP.
I started on early on 15 making a few pre SS casual QSOs hoping that would
announce the VE4 mult. It seems that 15 just never gets going the way I want it
to- at least at the beginning of the test and its not long til I set up shop on
20 m at my favorite freqs of around 14.292-297. High enough and far enough from
the B guys, but close enough that the "up to 300 casual tuners" catch me on
their way up and down. First couple of hours were 100 rate and I'm beginning to
think that it might work out ok. Rates plummet and first night runs on 40 never
materialize. Its gonna be a 20 m slugfest.

Best moment of SS -
I've camped on 14.297 - in teh middle of a nice run. I am asked to "move" by
someone claiming to be passing traffic (maybe passing wind?) on 14.300 - I tell
em I'm a  full 3 kcs away and that THEY'RE full of it. I also tell em to get
some selectivity and that I'm not going anywhere.   K9PG them comes on my
frequency and demands that I MOVE - because I'm QRMing him - ON 15 M!  (Delayed
reaction fom me- then I realize my leg is being pulled.) It takes 5 or 6 qsos
before I can stop laughing and get back to business. Thanks for the crack up
Paul.

Short Takes-
Tnx to VY1JA for working me QRP on 40.  QRP from VY1? I looked up the word
"insanity" in the dictionary and that was the definition.
Working VE8NSD as HIS #1 Q, my #13 . I don't know what made him call me but
bless his soul.
Had a BAD feeling I'd miss ND (again). Didn't hear WB0O at all and I knew that
was trouble. Finally worked one on te last evening on 40 for the sweep.
Lots of M class stations - Lots of 04 checks ( great news for us!). Its
especially nice working familar calls that really know how to give a good quick
exchange between the QRN and QRM. Good on ya guys ! SS ops are TOPS!

Worst moments -I was feeling pretty good about my score until I worked one
station from the Caribbean who was waxing me (KP2A) by a couple of hundred Qs
the first evening.  Cmon, you guys ! Running LP from the Caribbean is NO FAIR. I
have to LIVE up here. The least you can do if you guest op in the sunny
carribean is go HP and give us snowbound types a chance !

Static levels here were awful. Intermittent Local QRM up to S7-9 at time and I
have no idea what from. My 80 m antenna sucks and the power line/digital noises
that it picks up have to be heard to be believed.

T2X indicator is busted. Neighbors think I'm nuts as they frequently see me tear
out the front door, look up at the beam for half a sec then run back in the
house. I must have done this 30 times.

XYL wonders what happened to the hall mirror. I've gotten smarter about the
antenna indicator. Neighbors think I'm even MORE nuts than ever when they see a
log ceramic flower covered mirror stick out the shack window for a few secs as I
try to align beam without leaving the shack.

Reminder - I'm closing in on the big 50 in a couple of years. I need to patent
some contest "Depends" diapers. Waiting for my damned prostate must have cost me
at least a half a dozen q's while I was wizzin.

I'm MORE tired and hoarser than usual after this SS. QRN combined with lots of Q
stations made it very tough.

Thanks to all who made it fun again. See you in next year's SS.

PS Don't count on the VE4 mult for the 10 M test !

Rob VE4GV