[3830] CQWW CW K4XS SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K4XS SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:04:35 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:
   80:
   40: 1380    35      122
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1380    35      122  Total Score = 597,856

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I am not a CW guy, but decided to give this one a shot, since big antennas can
help make up for inadequacies of the op a little.

All week 40 was hot.  However, at the beginning of the contest, what was
supposed to be a 100 plus hour turned out ot be a miserable 70 hour.  The second
hour was worse.  This was not fun, so I took some off time to shoot the breeze
with the wife and help her decorate the house with Christmas stuff.  I came back
in a couple of times, but by 0400 it sounded a little better and I decided to
give it a go until conditions faded.  I proceeded to give it my all after that.
Only big problem occured when the top 40 Yagi decided not to give the correct
indication toward Sunday morning.  I had to go outside to see which direction it
was headed by shining a heavy duty flashlight 200 feet up to the top of the
tower to tell.  Sunday afternoon in the daylight, I had the XYL go out and let
me know. (Does this qualify me for a multi op?) HI!

Without a doubt Sunday morning had to be the best conditions I have ever heard
on 40 after daybreak.  I was still copying JA after 9 AM local time.  I worked
my last JA at 9:10 local and could have worked more if there were any new
stations on.

The long path Sunday afternoon was outstanding, as was the path to A61 and A45.
Both were 20 over at 4:30 PM local time.

Thanks to all for the many repeats of their calls since this lousy CW op and the
static crashes were handicaps to solid copy.