[3830] CQWW CW LZ9W M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW LZ9W M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:11:00 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: LZ9W
Operator(s): LZ9W
Station: LZ9W

Class: M/M HP
QTH: nr SOFIA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  864    18       71
   80: 1447    29      109
   40: 2675    36      142
   20: 2063    38      132
   15: 1788    37      140
   10:  644    34      115
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

This is a rough score before logs merging ( have had some PC problems)

After CQWW SSB when we installed and used 2 phased verticals on 80m and after
seeing claimed scores of other EU M/M it was clear we need to improve  our low
bands capabilities. Decision was made and we gathered together on Wednesday
evening at LZ9W. LZ1HD and LZ2HM have been working hard in weeks after SSB part
to make a phasing box for 4 SQUARE on 80m. (They made it on Monday evening)
So, having experience with 2 verticals we assembled another 2 verticals and
Thursday from 9 AM to 7 PM we have installed 4 lightweight 20m long verticals
under the guidance of "Mr.Vertical" - LZ1UQ Mitko. (as soon as possible we will
upload photoes of the first 4 SQ made in LZ)
4th vertical was rised in full darkness using our car lights to help us see what
we were doing.
Only first vertical had 12 radials and I connected just 4 radials to other 3
verticals  to be able to check, if antenna is working at all.
With only 100 W and on SSB (3.789) while antenna was tuned for CW portion of 80m
I was able to work with ease JAs. ( in spite the fact that verticals were
picking some local high level noise in JA direction)
Later during the night LZ1UQ has worked over 100 USA stns on CW- something which
is very difficult to be done from LZ land on 80m.(most Eastern part of Europe)
We also installed a dipole for EU at 15m above ground.

Friday morning we installed a 20m long vertical with loading coil for 160m but
this one did not want to work :-( ( it was 2S units worse in any direction than
the Inv Vee we installed near by). So, we used Inv Vee for all contest and me
having a very good experience with shortened verticals for top band from
LZ2CJ/LZ8T was nicely surprised that we with LZ2UZ were able to work 864
different stations in 18 zones and 71 countries with an Inv Vee with apex at 12
m and ends at just 2.5 m above ground ( however it was installed at 1000m asl
)
We used only ALPIN 100 ( new 1000W HF/50Mhz amplifier made by LZ1HD's company -
soon to appear on the market in EU).
S9A,VK1KI, HS72B,OD5 are only part of juicy multies which answered my CQs on top
band. Called in vain 9N7BCC, CT9L and others :-(((.

Friday afternoon we thought we were ready with antennas and suddenly 10m yagi
stopped rotating. LZ3UM went up and down the tower at least 6 times before
getting it rotating again. He has done same exersize few times for 20m and 15m
yagies as well for two days.
But Mr.Murphy did not want to go away. Cause human mistake during tuning of the
160m vertical the front end of IC746(of LZ2UZ) has been blown up. Few minutes
later the replacement rig - my IC746 which was untuched since CQWW SSB went dead
on TX ,too.
Then we got my TS850 to put it on its place and it did not want to "colaborate"
with ALPIN 100. At this point we started thinking we will run out of radios :-).
Fortunately LZ2FV was able to repair shortly IC 746 of LZ2UZ and we found the
problem with my TS850 was not the radio itself, but wrongly made commutation
cable between it and ALPIN 100 amp. Ends were soldered on right places and
TS850-ALPIN 100 combo worked flowlessly on 160m whole contest.

Contest started very well for the guys on 40m - they had over 1000 QSOs after
just 8 hours operation on Saturday morning.
First night was relatively poor on 80m - may be due to the fact that USA were on
higher bands at the start and also on 40m ?
However second night on 80m was terrific as defined by LZ1PM and LZ1ZD - our 80m
ops. this time
( we made 1400 QSOs - compared to just 744 in 2003 CW part and mult total
increased by 30 % - in 2003 we used 2 phased Inv.Vees at just 15m above
ground)

20m closed relatively early after dark with 15m closing an hour earlier first
both days.

10m was poor with backscatter EU and skewed USA sigs comming from SAmerica
direction.

We had 6300 QSOs after first 24 hours and finished close to our 2003 score with
little over 15 mln points and 9481 QSOs before log merging
( but last year we made abt 1400 QSOs on 10m !)

Operators

160m - LZ2CJ, LZ2UZ
 80m - LZ1PM, LZ1ZD
 40m - LZ1UQ, LZ2FV
 20m - LZ3FN, LZ2PO
 15m - LZ1ANA, LZ3UM
 10m - LZ2HM

Mult - LZ1RGM,LZ2SX,LZ4UU,LZ5VK and part time LZ1PJ,LZ1AX,LZ1AZ.

Equipment

Special THANKS to Vesko LZ5VK for flowlessly working PC network, although some
PCs have had some hardware problems.

160m - TS850 (LZ2CJ)- ALPIN 100 amp ( one GU74b)
 80m - FT 1000MP Mark V Field (LZ2HM) - Alpha 91b (LZ1ZD)
 40m -  IC 746 (LZ1UQ)- "Chopper" hm PA (LZ1ZD)
 20m - TS850 (LZ2PO)- LZ1HD-"ALPIN" Co. made monoband PA for LZ9W (two GU74b)
 15m - IC 746 (LZ1ZD) - ACOM 2000A ( LZ2CJ)
 10m - IC 735 - TL922 (both LZ2PO)

Mult - FT 1000MP (LZ5VK) - ACOM 1000 (LZ2UZ)
       IC746 (LZ2UZ) - LZ1AZ hm amp (one GU74b)

Special THANKS also to Vesko LZ1HD(ALPIN Co. / lz1hd@yahoo.com ) for providing
ALPIN 100 amp and to LZ1AZ for providing his home made 800W GU74b amp.

Antennas :

160m - Inv Vee
 80m - 4 SQUARE and Dipole
 40m - HB9CV and Dipole
 20m - 6 el WA3FET and Dipole
 15m - 6 el WA3FET and single el Delta Loop
 10m - 7 el WA3FET

Mult - X7 , KT34A , Inv Vees for 20m and 40m

So, it was fun for all of us. See you all in CQ WPX SSB in March 2005.

73 Wally LZ2CJ /LZ8T
on behalf of LZ9W M/M Contest Team
www.qsl.net/lz9w