[3830] CQWW CW DL3YM SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW DL3YM SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:18:47 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DL3YM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  332    13       49
   80:  732    17       77
   40:  693    33      100
   20:  665    31       89
   15:  482    32       76
   10:  236    23       63
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Probably my 'most fun ever' contesting experience.
Preperation for this one was far from perfect: my oldest boy caught various
infects at kindergarden during the weeks leading to the contest which
subsequently resulted in significantly reduced night sleep for dad. Add long
hours at work and you get a tired OP on Friday night.
However, once the WW CW starts I am always kind of oberwhelmed by the activity
and then the adrenalin kicks in. Strategy this year was totally revised from
last year: basically I had decided to call CQ whenever possible. I believe this
payed off in the end. Had super runs on 20 around midday on SAT to the US (new
personal best last 10 rate was 245) and on 10 sidescatter on SUN afternoon.
Great fun working all those US and EU calls which were not audible at all direct
path. Opening extended to W0, but no 6s or 7s heard / wkd on 10. The other end
of the spectrum wasn't that bad, either, with 63 US (tnx K1ZZ for 6 bands) and 5
VE calls logged on 160. Best DX on 160 was HC8N, and I was sure glad working the
5U-boys on 6 bands.
Very positive experience on 20 on SUN afternoon: Had SO6Y call CQ on my running
freq. When I complained the OP told me I myself was QRMing him running just
below (which I honestly wasn't aware of). We agreed on me moving up a little and
him moving down - now I am really grateful for this gentleman's agreement in the
heat of a contest!
Towards the end of the contest I really had to pay tribute to rapidly increasing
fatigue. Had big problems sustaining a run to the US west coast on SUN evening
on 20 and started drifting away during the last hour. I was actually asking
myself how all those people I heard could fit into the little radio box. Had to
finish 20 minutes b4 the official end as I became aware I couldn't actually
manage the radio's controls any more.
Big thanks to my family for tolerating my hobby and very special thanks to Wolf
for all the technical support. Without his expertise this would surely not
happen for me. And thank you all for making this a very special event, year
after year!