[3830] ARRL 160 W2RE Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2re@optonline.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W2RE Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:49:00 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W2RE
Operator(s): W2RE
Station: W2RE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ENY
Operating Time (hrs): 26

Total:  QSOs = 1080  Sections = 78  Countries = 29  Total Score = 242,997

Club: Hudson Valley Contesters and dxers

Comments:

WOW! Missed only AK and YT for a sweep. First time since 1999 that I entered the
ARRL 160 to do a serious effort, I usually just give out points. The reason for
the serious effort was to try the new 4 SQ of inverted L's that I put up
recently.
I was really impressed how easy to break through in a pileup and the front to
back is amazing. The one problem is that I was firing the NE radiator most of
the time to try to work Europe. Not loud to SW.
The first night was great to the west coast USA, but only logged 10 Europeans.
HA5JI was the loudest the first night, LY3UM called in later with a FB signal.

The 2nd night brought promise, an hour before sunset a bunch of G's called in
with GJ3YHU and GW3KDB as new mults. I was getting excited that I could finally
get something going into europe. But, it was false hope. The band was sporatic
with a Europe station every once in a while.

The conditions seemed strange with the guys down south and out in the mid west
working Europe while I heard nothing here in NY.

Not being a regular during this contest and just seemed unusual that the NE
would have poor conditions into Europe while the west and south didnt.

My conclusion is with no other antennas on 160 beside the 4SQ, and no more room
to expand, its time to find a contest shack in the mountains.

73, Ray W2RE