[3830] ARRL 160 N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:17:52 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 26

Total:  QSOs = 233  Sections = 40  Countries = 1  Total Score = 19,229

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Big difference from past years.  Great score (for me), up 30%
over my previous best.  Biggest disappointments were no east
coast stations heard or worked, and no Caribbean stations heard
or worked.  Farthest east states worked were OH, KY and MS.  For
some reason I couldn't work MI or TN, though I certainly tried.
The highlight QSO was one JA station worked.  I just sort of
stumbled into him.  Heard him CQing with no answers, so I called,
just to see what would happen.  Got him on the first call.
I built a new tuned rotating loop to help with receiving for this
year, and it outperformed my big Flag loop in the back yard.
Being able to rotate it for the lowest noise level helped, plus
it was just plain quiet on its own.  This one's a keeper :-)
My previous best run was 179 QSOs last year, but I beat it with
233 this year, plus 40 mults this year trumped 35 mults last year.
This was my second year in a row with no east coast QSOs.  I used
to have a number of them.  Wonder how propagation has changed to
account for this.  The antenna system has been unchanged for
three years now, but the results are quite different now versus
then.
This year I spent more time CQing, especially Saturday night
and Sunday morning.  I had worked just about every station I
could find that was CQing, so figured I had to attract other
S&Pers like myself to move my score along.  It worked better
than I hoped, considering that I'm only running five watts.
As usual, I enjoyed working the old familiar contesters out there.
See you in the ARRL 10m contest next weekend.
SOAPBOX: 73, Bob N6WG