[3830] ARRL 160 W2LC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2lc@ix.netcom.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W2LC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:59:43 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W2LC
Operator(s): W2LC
Station: W2LC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 29

Total:  QSOs = 928  Sections = 77  Countries = 9  Total Score = 161,938

Club: RDXA

Comments:

Antenna:
Shunt fed 77ft tower.
60 radials about 100-150ft long
3 beverages - NE, ENE, and NW.

My best score ever, including most QSOs and most sections worked in this
contest.  The 160m shunt fed tower seemed to work well.  I added 1/2 mile of
electric fence wire as radials.  Went from about 16 radials to about 60 radials
from 100 to 150 feet long.  The additional radials seem to help alot. All are on
the ground.

I have been doing so much work cutting down trees and other jungle like material
from around the tower, and working on an 80m shunt feed, that I forgot the
contest was this weekend, I thought it was next weekend. I was planing on
putting down more radials this weekend.

I came home late from work and I was watching a movie with my kids when I
decided to turn on the radio, and low and behold the contest is on!  So I
started 3 & 1/2 hours late.

I started with hours of 90, 102, 73 and 73, with 574 QSOs and 77 mults the first
night, so I didn't feel too bad.  I'm sure those 3.5 hours missed cost me. I
barely made it thru to Saturday morning I was so tired.  Any time I had to key
manually I could barely do it.

Didn't hear Wyo, NWT or AK.  Not much DX either but I did work a few Europeans.
I had some noise Saturday morning, I think it was the furnace, I'm glad I have
the beverages even if they are fairly short. The beverages are quiet as can
be.

See you all in the next one.

73 Scott W2LC