[3830] ARRL 10 W6YX M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W6YX M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:58:51 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6UFO KJ9U N7MH W6LD
Station: W6YX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 29

   CW:  721    86
  SSB:  718    85
-------------------
Total: 1439   171  Total Score = 738,720

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Friday was very slow with no JA's and a total of 119 Q's and 33 mults.  John,
KJ9U operated the first 2 hours and then I showed up almost 3 hours after he
left.  W0SD was the strongest signal on the band between about 0500 and 0530.
Most of the stations worked in the late evening here were 6's, 7's, VE7's, plus
a handful of others like NM, CO, and SD.

On both days operators came to the station not to operate in the contest, but to
work the VU4 DXpedition.  All successfully worked VU4, but temporarily took away
the station we were using to search and pounce.  This was in the early morning
when not much was workable so we probably didn't lose much.

We worked all states on CW except for OK.  On phone we also missed OK as well as
NH, UT, MN and ND.  We worked lots of VE3's and VE7's, but the rest of Canada
was rare.  We missed NB, PE, LB, MB, NWT, YT, and NU on both modes, and also
missed NF, QC, and SK on phone.  Near the end I asked VE5MX to move up to phone
and he suggested 28550.  Not a peep heard there.  I think the MUF between us was
lower so that we should have gone to 28305 or thereabout.  For once DC was easy
on both modes with several worked.

Biggest surprise was GM4WJA calling in on phone at 2203Z on Saturday.  I finally
switched to an antenna pointing north and he had a very Q5 signal, but with
auroral flutter.  He was the only European we heard.  I heard CN8KM briefly and
also CT3L but didn't waste much time calling either and they had disappeared by
the time I came back.

10-minute rates were well over 300 during the 2000Z hour on Saturday, with a
best 60 minutes of 233 Q's between 1944 and 2043.  This was while I was running
SO2R, CQing on phone and S&Ping on CW.

We had one additional operator, our club president, Eric, a grad student in EE
who recently got his license (Extra Class on his first try).  I've forgotten
Eric's call, KX9???  He had only been on HF once before so he listened to me
operate on phone for a few minutes before giving it a try.  Eric made a few Q's
with a bit of coaching.

We worked around 147 JA's in total and, like N6RO, had YB and VR call us in the
last half hour of the contest.

Congratulations to the guys at NE4AA and NX5M.  The gulf states were the place
to be for this contest.

-Mike, N7MH