[3830] NAQP CW N3BB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N3BB Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:00:20 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Austin, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   95    35
   80:  188    52
   40:  276    50
   20:  297    57
   15:  203    47
   10:   45    11
-------------------
Total: 1104   252  Total Score = 277,956

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers

Comments:

Honestly, the NAQP is the best contest other than the 4 hour Sprint!  Especially
the Winter running.  There are plenty of operators and there are many "new
calls" other than the super-core group.  The six bands and the QSYing make this
a fantastic SO2R contest and QSY-skill contest.  The CW capability is generally
excellent but the participants' CW ranges to pretty "choppy" and rather slow
speeds, and some of the QSOs take quite a bit of effort.  There were plenty of
stations to be worked right up to the end.

I ended up with twenty fewer QSOs than the January 2004 NAQP, a four more mults
(even with the 10 meter cockpit problem) and 2K less score.  Was hoping to do
better because I think my operating skills with TR are better, but it was not to
be.

For me, the local power company has cleared up the long standing problem that
produced S7-S9 to the NW, however my neighbor has something that has come on,
and it was producing S9 on 10 meters.  I missed the entire first 75 minutes on
10 meters until I was able to brilliantly figure out that perhaps I could rotate
the stack there to minimize the line noise.  DUH!  After several minutes of
that, I got it to S2-S3 and was able to hear pretty well.  By that time I had
missed entirely the propagation to the south and east and north.  I didn't work
even one mult on 10 meters in W1-2-3-4-8-9-0 or any VEs except VE7.  I'll put
this problem on the front burner and get it resolved as it's local and should
not be hard to find.  I spent my time elsewhere so didn't miss much in the QSO
quantity area, but probably missed 10-15 mults as a result.  In fact NN5J in MI
was so loud on 10 meters at the start of the contest he was overriding the S9
QRN!  I didn't call him then because I was so frustrated at the start.

The conditions were good otherwise, and the rates on 40 meters were strong.  80
meters was very long and the entire country was booming in.  I had my second
best mult total on 80 (after 20)!

Off times were a problem, never could figure when to take them.  I took four 30
minute breaks this year, and seemed to have enough time on 80 and 160 for a
change.  I operated the final 45 minutes on 80/160 and it was pretty active on
both bands all the way to the end.

Thanks to the locals for excellent participation.  W5RQ, K5NA, K5DU, W5SL,
W5JAW, AB5EU, N5XU, W5GAI, KI5DR, W5KFT (K5OT), NZ5A, and K5TR (K5PI) all were
active. As K5PI (at K5TR) stated, we are 500 points apart, so let the log
checking begin!  :-)  With the terrible ice damage at N9RV and several big guns
like N2IC going M/2, perhaps we both have a shot at the Top Ten box.  It appears
the big scores will be from the west coast with their longer and better band
conditions on 10 and 15, and the long and quiet conditions on 80 and 160.

Other than the CTDXCC gang here, I had 17 successful QSYs during the NAQP, and
most produced mults that would not would have occurred otherwise.  The highlight
for me was when VE9DX called in on 40 meters after 20 meters was kaput, and we
went to 80!  Andy runs 50 Watts max but is a good operator.  The NE beverage
worked!

I ran 35 WPM most of the time, and slowed to 32 when things seemed a little
slow.  I slowed to 26 WPM and 29 WPM a few times for stations sending slowly.

TR-Log 6.78 was used and the only issue is the "jittery" screen appearance for
the mults needed.  Sometimes it hangs up and does not show the mult requirement
for the station being worked.  That's a problem for sure and between that and my
own poor concentration, I missed asking several people to move as I did not or
could not see the bands needed for that location.

Thanks to Art, KZ5D, for being a part of the Austin Powers team from New Iberia,
LA.

Here are some "numbers":

    Rate

HOUR  160     80     40     20      15      10  TOTAL  ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18       0       1       1      21      94       0     117     117
   19       2       2       2      53      13      31     103     220
   20       1       1       1      21      73      10     107     327
   21       2       2       2      61      14       2      83     410
   22       1       1       1      53       7       1      64     474
   23       0       0      20      83       0       0     103     577

    0       0       0     129       3       1       0     133     710
    1       0       9      41       0       0       1      51     761
    2       1      23      77       1       1       0     103     864
    3      15      70       0       0       0       0      85     949
    4      36      58       2       0       0       0      96    1045
    5      37      21       0       0       0       0      58    1103

TOTAL  95    188   276    296    203      45

NAQP N3BB Mults

160CW
Ar      Ct      Il      Md      Ms      Nv      Pa      V3      Wy
Az      Fl      In      Mi      Mt      Oh      Sc      Va      ZF
Ca      Ga      Ky      Mn      Nc      Ok      Tn      Wa      vE3
Co      Ia      Ma      Mo      Nm      Or      Tx      Wi

 80CW
Al      De      Ky      Mn      Nh      Ok      Tn      Wi      vE2
Ar      Fl      La      Mo      Nj      Or      Tx      Wv      vE3
Az      Ga      Ma      Ms      Nm      Pa      V3      Wy      vE5
Ca      Ia      Md      Mt      Nv      Sc      Va      XE      vE9
Co      Il      Me      Nc      Ny      Sd      Vt      ZF
Ct      In      Mi      Ne      Oh      TG      Wa      vE1

 40CW
Al      Ct      Il      Ma      Mo      Nj      Ok      Sd      Vt      vE1
Ar      Fl      In      Md      Ms      Nm      Or      Tn      Wa      vE2
Az      Ga      Ks      Me      Nc      Nv      Pa      Tx      Wi      vE3
Ca      Ia      Ky      Mi      Ne      Ny      Ri      V3      Wv      vE4
Co      Id      La      Mn      Nh      Oh      Sc      Va      XE      vE9

 20CW
Al      De      In      Me      Nc      Oh      Sd      Va      XE      vE5
Ar      Fl      Ks      Mi      Nh      Ok      TG      Vt      ZF      vE6
Az      Ga      Ky      Mn      Nj      Or      Tn      Wa      vE1     vE7
Ca      Ia      La      Mo      Nm      Pa      Tx      Wi      vE2
Co      Id      Ma      Ms      Nv      Ri      Ut      Wv      vE3
Ct      Il      Md      Mt      Ny      Sc      V3      Wy      vE4

 15CW
Az      Fl      La      Mn      Nj      Or      Tn      Wa      ZF      vE6
Ca      Ga      Ma      Ms      Nv      Pa      Tx      Wi      vE1     vE7
Co      Id      Md      Mt      Ny      Sc      Ut      Wv      vE2
Ct      Il      Me      Nc      Oh      Sd      Va      Wy      vE3
De      In      Mi      Nh      Ok      TG      Vt      XE      vE5

 10CW
Ar      Ca      Nv      Or      Wa      vE7
Az      Co      Ok      Tx      ZF