[3830] CQ160 CW W3USA(K8MR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W3USA(K8MR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:53:11 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W3USA
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 2

Total:  QSOs = 187  State/Prov = 34  Countries = 0  Total Score = 14,654

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

CQ 160 is one of those contests I don't do seriously, but like many  contests
I like to get on and pass out some qsos to those who are in it seriously. I
hope they will some day return the favor in a contest I am serious in.

Actually I like to give out qsos to those who are serious and who are also
willing to expend some effort to make qsos.  So sometimes (including this
contest) I get on and exclusively CQ.  Those who tune are rewarded (as are
those who watch the clusters).  Those who punch F1 over and over  aren't.

So, I got on for the 11z hour Sunday morning as K8MR, for 112x31 for 7,814
points.

Since CQ 160 now goes until 0000z Monday, there is a Sunday night  session.
To reward those crazy enough to be up before dawn on the  second day and still

at it Sunday night, I wanted to be able to start over  fresh.  I pulled out
the rules as printed in CQ magazine and carefully read  them.  I found no
prohibition on using the same transmitter under two  calls, using two callsigns

from one location, or any of the other ARRL  issues.  So thanks to apartment
bound MRRC newcomer W1NN, I fired up under  the club call of W3USA at 2200z
Sunday.  That was good for 187x34 for 14,654 between then and the end of the
contest.

I estimate that I worked 50 guys with both calls.

Both were high power.  I had some power line noise this weekend, so I  did
have somewhat of an alligator sensation of not being able to copy a number  of

callers.  Hopefully it was not an excessive number.

Since I decided on a CQ only approach, I worked no DX.

I hope nobody minded the extra qso resulting from my use of two calls.
Since they just aren't making new CW ops any more, sooner or later  the one
transmitter/one callsign rules of ARRL and others are going to have to be
reexamined if we're going to have people to fill up a long contest, especially
on CW.

I think a better approach is like that of pitchers in  baseball - once you
bring in another one, the first one can never reenter the game. Which is how I

did this one.

73  -  Jim   K8MR