[3830] RTTY WPX KI5XP(@W5WMU) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cfmorris@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KI5XP(@W5WMU) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:42:52 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KI5XP
Operator(s): KI5XP
Station: W5WMU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lafayette, La
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

   80:  235   602
   40:  535  1824
   20:  428   678
   15:  308   570
   10:   36    85
-----------------
Total: 1542  3759  Prefixes = 474  Total Score = 1,781,766

Club: Cajun Contest Club

Comments:

Attempted to try a new strategy this year, guess it didnt work.  I looked at my
score last year to figure out what happened and noticed that I didnt make enough
low band big point contacts.  So I made extra effort this year to concentrate
more on the low bands and work more nighttime with breaks during the daytime.
For the most part I think that worked, until around 10:30am Saturday.  Thats
about the time I let the magic smoke out of the NE 15 meter antenna.  For the
remainder of the contest, 15 meters was worked off the NW antenna only.  No
problems being heard, but hard time hearing people.  Without Europe, there's
only so many Prefixes in 5, 6, and 7 land, and JA land to work.  No Europe, no
mults.  Got my butt smoked yet again on Mults.

I cant blame anything but myself this go around.  I'd gotten hammered at work
all week, ended up setting up the camp around 5:30 Friday evening, which means
after all the changes of computers and radios and stuff, I started the contest
about 30 minutes late.  That basically set the tone for the rest of the weekend.
 I just couldnt get a rythm until Saturday morning.  Then I smoked something,
which killed 15 meters.  I've decided that it just doesnt help to use one radio
all year long and switch to another one for the most important time, during the
contest.  Now I've just got to figure out a way to get a ProIII to go with my
other one for SO2R, and the pieces will start to come together.

Preparation is the most important thing.  Im learning my lessons with each
contest, and so far each one of mine has been like a tennis match.  There's two
ways to lose one, by being beaten, or by beating yourself.

Thanks for the Q's, and sorry for anyone I didnt hear, especially on 15M where I
was deaf to EU.   See you guys in the next one or at Dayton.

73
Charlie