[3830] ARRLDX CW WA6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenkeeler@jazznut.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WA6O(@N6RO) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:26:01 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WA6O
Operator(s): WA6O, WX5S, N6RO
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   59    22
   80:  231    54
   40:  499    77
   20:  688    86
   15:  632    79
   10:   68    35
-------------------
Total: 2177   353  Total Score = 2,278,968

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Stations: two FT1000mp, one FT1000D;  Alpha 76, Commander, LK500 amps.
Antennas:
160m  Wire 4 Square vertical array- Comtek controller.
80m   Wire 4 Square(better to EU), two 2L delta loop arrays(better to JA)
40m   Wire 4 Square, 4L KLM at 65'
20m   5/5/5 Yagi Stack - top at 135'
15m   6/6  Yagi Stack  - top at 135'
10m   5/5/6  Yagi Stack - top at 110'

There was no advance planning for multi-multi this time, as five of the eight
antenna rotators on four towers are inop., in either position indication or
stuck in unusable directions.  Also several of the usual N6RO team operators
were unavailable. Early in the week, WA6O and WX5S planned to do single banders,
N6RO would play around on 80m, after music gigs.  Well, two days before the
contest, we three decided to lash up a 3 TX multi to have more fun and do some
packet practice.  As TRLog advocates, we set up the network with relative ease
two hours before the contest, but the internet wireless router failed, so no
packet was available for the weekend, which is not good news for any multi these
days, especially with limited manning and no dual/spotting positions.

The first objective of enjoying contesting was met.  The backup 40m wire 4
SQUARE did a good job, but we missed the 4/4 yagi stack (top antenna stuck at
170d).  Positioning 20m antennas was done by counting 6d/sec, then verifying
position visually - tough at night!

80m condx OK, but eastern EU could not hear us well.  Called but missed 20 more
stations and 8 Mults.  Best Q was RU1A over South America about 0530Z Saturday
night.  All other EU were direct on short path.  Missed whatever LP opening was
there on Saturday, but RO stayed up to bag five LP EU mults just before 15Z on
Sunday.  160m great on Friday night.  Got CU2M on Saturday night.  Nothing from
VK/ZL, but good JAs in limited time (80/160 on same radio).  Best run was by
WA6O on Sunday morning on 15m - 150 EU in about an hour.  Great while it lasted,
but that was all!  Mike and Matt were iron men, they sat in the chair for about
44 hours each! I got about 8 hours sleep over the weekend.  Nothing planned for
Monday.

We discovered some new computer and station interference issues in this one, so
we'll be better prepared for our 'real' M/M event of this season, the WPX SSB
test in March as NR6O.  Maybe we'll do some more practice/repairs for that one
in the ARRL SSB test in two weeks.  CU then, N6RO