[3830] ARRLDX CW AF4OX SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AF4OX SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 05:42:17 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AF4OX
Operator(s): AF4OX
Station: AF4OX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   16    15
   80:  125    38
   40:  152    55
   20:  156    52
   15:  197    59
   10:   41    24
-------------------
Total:  687   243  Total Score = 500,823

Club:

Comments:

Almost all contacts were made using S&P.  I don't think I made more than 10 Q's
calling CQ.  I could work almost any station I called but no one would answer my
CQ's.  Too low signal to notice.  But with no amplifier to tune and my antennas
arranged for fast band changes (no tuning needed except for some tweaking on the
ends of 160M)I was able to move around and check for openings with no fuss and
mimimun chance for goof ups.  On 160M I did lack the power to get through to EU
better than about 30%, but I was very pleased with 80M performance on 100W.  A
separate receive ant (pennant) helped enormously an 160/80/40.

Biggest thrill - Saturday morning on 80M when several JA's responded to my 100W
call.

Most imprerssive signal - The TI running 5W!

Biggest disappointment - - Those stations with undersized power supply
filtering.  I mean how much buzz is too much!

I wonder about a rule that would make it mandatory for everyone to spend some
time in S&P.  That would make the big guns switch out of cruise control.

All in all it was a very enjoyable weekend and thanks to all who participated.