[3830] ARRLDX CW K5GO M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5go@cox.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K5GO M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:15:10 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5GO
Operator(s): K5ALU, K5DB, K5GO, K5LG, K5NZ, K5VR, K5XK, KM5G, N5DX, N5ECT,
N5XR,  W0JOE
Station: K5GO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: ARKANSAS
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  104    47
   80:  350    75
   40:  921   102
   20:  984   107
   15: 1208   105
   10:  176    68
-------------------
Total: 3743   504  Total Score = 5,659,416

Club: Ozark Contest Club

Comments:

This total is from one computer without merging the logs, but it should be
close.  Did not find conditions good from Arkansas on any particular band.  The
night before the contest the 80M band was full of very loud East African and
Indian Ocean stations and I don't think we even worked mainland Africa during
the contest.  The new 4 Square on 80M should be an obvious improvement to the
Bobtail we had last year but our score was way down from the previous year.
However, I do think the conditions on 80 and 160 were particularly good last
year for us.

Not sure it means anything but looked at the band by band reduction in score
between last year and this year for both K3LR and this station.

          K3LR       K5GO

160M     -4%         -42%
80M      -7%         -17%
40M      -32%        -34%
20M      -3%         -3%
15M      -20%        -24%
10M      -74%        -67%

We continue to have inter-station interference problems which need to be solved.
 It was acceptable during the CQ Contest but reared its ugly head in a big way
during the limited European opening on 10M on Sunday.

Thanks to N5ECT for his first visit - coming over for Friday night.  He normally
operates using his wife's call (WD5R) in the 160M contests.  It is hard to find
anyone to volunteer to take 160M, but Doug stayed with it all night on Friday
and worked some stuff in marginal conditions that we would not normally have
even been there to work.

Other than inter-station interference problems our biggest obstacle to making
score improvements is not having operators dedicated to particular bands,
operating as if it were a serious, single-band effort for them.  Except for a
couple of exceptions, everyone works a little while on every band.  Just wait
until next year... :-)

The most fun I had was having a 30 minute contest with Kevin on 15M and trying
to set up paramutual betting.  At even odds, I think everyone would have bet on
N5DX.  I worked 41 in my 30 minutes and he worked 49 in his.  I would be pleased
with the result either way in that contest, unless I actually had money on the
underdog.

Stan, K5GO