[3830] ARRLDX CW W6YX M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6YX M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:53:37 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6UFO KJ9U W6LD N7MH K6OWL AA6XV W6KNS
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   12     9
   80:  179    58
   40:  570    91
   20:  548   102
   15:  542    90
   10:   72    38
-------------------
Total: 1935   388  Total Score = 2,238,372

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

You can tell that some of the ops at W6YX were more DXer than contester, as
we achieved DXCC on 20 meters and came close on 15 and 40.  Good thing we
had a few veteran contesters to bulk up the QSO count.

10 meters was really weak, though we managed to work a couple of JA and EU.
"Weird conditions call for weird tactics"  (KJ9U) - and more "skew" pointing may
have helped.

15 and 20 meters really delivered, and John W6LD piled up lots of EU countries
each morning. John KJ9U was especially pleased when he got to track down the
last few mults on Sunday to break 100 countries on 20m.

40 meters was awesome, with the most QSOs of any band (570), and 91 countries!
We would point at EU and get called by JA, then point at JA and get called by
EU. The pre-dawn 40 meter opening to EU on Saturday was amazing, many EU
stations were over S9 for hours.  The beverage receiving antennas were a great
help since they didn't have the weather-related noise (corona? rain-static?)
that the 40m beam yagi suffered at times..

We more than doubled our score on 80m from last year, thanks to the 4-square and
new receiving beverages put in by John KJ9U and Dave AA6XV.

We had hoped to do better on 160m, but our dipole didn't work, maybe due to all
the wind and rain.

Speaking of Japan, we worked an incredible 747 of them, especially on 80 and
40m. They really showed up for this contest. Domo Arigato!

We still had RF interaction between 15 and 20 on one tower, limiting our ability
to call EU on both bands during the morning openings. Various ideas for stubs
are being floated.

The antics of the 3Y0X pirates were amusing to follow on the DX cluster.
The number of busted DX spots became somewhat alarming!  NEVER TRUST THE
PACKET SPOTS - always verify the callsign.

Otherwise, the equipment behaved well and the operators had fun. Well, except
for when K6XX would beat us in a pileup, or we had to wade through long lists of
mistyped and broken packet spots.

-Mork K6UFO, for the W6YX team.

           160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %
    SA       2     14     16     33     37     34     136     7.0
    NA       8     27     39     40     44     23     181     9.4
    OC       2      8     23     18     24     10      85     4.4
    AS       1    103    346    184    220      2     856    44.2
    EU       0     27    150    267    208      3     655    33.9
    AF       0      1      2      9     10      0      22     1.1