[3830] ARRLDX CW N6WG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N6WG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:40:45 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:    3     3
   80:    2     1
   40:   54    21
   20:   46    23
   15:   98    37
   10:   30    20
-------------------
Total:  233   105  Total Score = 73,395

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Got off to a very slow start.  Felt like trying to wring blood
from a turnip.  Conditions didn't seem to be going anywhere, plus
we had heavy rain during the evening, which upset my antenna matches.
I had only 6500 points when I shut down Friday midnight.
   Saturday morning things picked, but slowed around midday.  Then they
picked up again in the early afternoon and went well until I
shut down at 0400 UTC.  It seemed like I'd worked everything I
could hear, so decided to go read a book for a while instead.
   Early Sunday morning picked up some JAs on 40m to help the score
along while waiting for the higher bands to open.  Had a good time
Sunday afternoon until the end.  I was a bit surprised at how early
10m died Sunday afternoon.  It seemed like everyone just abandoned
the band, whether it had any life remaining or not.
   The best tactical decision I made was to skip the pileups on some
good DX stations.  I just stuck around long enough to identify the
stations and mark them in my bandmap.  Checking on them later I
found them CQing with no takers, and very easy pickings then.
   This year I wound up with my best performance so far, 105 mults
(same as last year) but 233 QSOs, 22 more than last year.  A new
high score of 73395 points, up 11%, so I'm feeling successful.
   I've been looking at the results postings and I've seen one other
QRPer with a score 10 times mine!  Now that is humbling.  Thank
goodness I don't compete with anyone but myself.
   The station is about maxed out in terms of development.  The K2 at
5w, nested bisquares for 10m and 15m, and a 60f CF dipole for 20, 40
and 80m.  For 160m I have my 50 ft toploaded vertical which
netted me 3 QSOs and 3 mults on topband.  I guess all that's left
that I can work on improving is the aging operator :-)  Perhaps I
can coax this old body into a few more hours each night for more
seat time.  TR LOG works well for me, so maybe I can learn some more
of its features for a tiny bit more edge.
   Anyway, I had a great time and am planning for next year already.
See you all in the contests.
73, Bob N6WG