[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5NA M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@texas.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K5NA M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:20:10 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA,K5DU,K2UR,N5ZC,KI5DR
Station: K5NA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:   31    24
   80:   80    53
   40:  223    78
   20:  356   106
   15: 1003   120
   10:  128    48
-------------------
Total: 1831   429  Total Score = 2,343,627

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

We had a small crew and worked hard. The team of K5NA, K5DU, K2UR, N5ZC, and
KI5DR has been together now for about 4 years and we interact and work well
together. We have found it is better to run lean with operators and work harder.
That way no one gets bored and the weekend doesn't turn into a social event.

15 meters was a great band for us, while 20 meters was a nightmare. On 15 meters
it was nice to get callers that said we were the loudest signal on the band. We
seemed to have a pipeline into Europe.

But 20 meters was loaded with loud East Coast stations and seemed to have
stations calling CQ every 500 hertz. When we squeezed in somewhere to call CQ we
couldn't copy callers because of the QRM. Our 20M score reflects our
difficulty.

Writelog says we only operated about 46 hours. This is pretty accurate since we
had a lot of problems with networking a four station setup that would knock us
off the air. The network would occasionally go squirrely and lock up several or
all of the computers. At that time we would have to restart them and sometime
re-boot to recover.

On a bright side, last year we had a lot of trouble with the band change timer
but that feature worked flawlessly this year.

I think we did reasonably well from Texas and everyone had a great time.

73, Richard