[3830] ARRLDX SSB WN9O M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wn9o@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WN9O M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:02:11 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WN9O
Operator(s): WN9O, W9IU
Station: WN9O

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Indiana
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:   27    23
   80:   72    51
   40:  112    70
   20:  520   106
   15:  544   105
   10:   89    39
-------------------
Total: 1356   394  Total Score = 1,602,792

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The band conditions at the start of the contest were fairly good.  We started
working 15M and 20M, then went to 40M fairly early.  Unfortunately the 40M and
80M antennas have some intermittent issues, so contacts were limited a bit due
to high SWR issues.  Plans to correct these are a priority for the summer.

Saturday morning found us going to 15 meters and staying there.  About 70% of
our 15M contacts were made from 1400Z - 2000Z.  After that the conditions really
stunk.  I can not remember conditions being this bad, at this point in the
cycle, without having some sort of solar flare.  It got so bad that we decided
to go to sleep from 0600Z - 0900Z as the CQing resulted in single digit QSO
rates.

It was also wierd to hear the west coast and some east coast piles call stations
on 10 and 15 meters I could not hear.  This reminds me of when we operated from
6Y8Z last year and worked pockets of stations on 10 meters.  We were able to
work mobile stations with 5 watts in Arizona and could not work the BIG GUN
stations from the midwest.

But with all that said, it was a DX contest weekend and I loved every minute of
it.  Yes it was frustrating at times, but at least I did not have to go into
work!  To use the analogy, a bad day on the radio is still better than a good
day at the office!

Even with the poor conditions, there were still some excellent scores - congrats
to all...

73's,

Kevin  WN9O