[3830] ARRLDX SSB NN3W(@W9GE) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nn3w@prodigy.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB NN3W(@W9GE) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:56:53 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: W9GE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   20    15
   80:   94    55
   40:  139    72
   20:  542   100
   15:  424    99
   10:  109    20
-------------------
Total: 1328   361  Total Score = 1,438,224

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to Bob W9GE for allowing me to take up his station for the contest.  I
was going to do the NAQP and call it quits for the year since the wife is 7
months pregnant, but an illness cancelled that effort.  Instead Bob was generous
enough to allow me to make my effort during the ARRL DX - a test he usually
plays around in.

Anyhow, he has a fantastic station on the flat Eastern shore of Maryland which
plays well, and is extremely user-friendly.  I felt loud on 15 and 20 - at least
on Saturday.

This was my first real effort on a SOAB test on the east coast in a DX test and
I can only now appreciate how much of an advantage the east coast has in the
ARRL.  Run Europe all day; work mults all morning and night.

Best catches were having FR1GZ and several 4Xs call me on CQs, finding 7X3WJA
early in the morning on Sunday before 20 eventually opened to Europe, and
hearing VP9/W6PH on 10 being worked by the New England stations and then working
him through pure ESP.

Radios: Tentec Orion; Yaesu FT990

Antennas:
10M: OB-16-3 (8 elements) at 80?; C3E at 40?
15M: OB-16-3 (4 elements) at 80?; C3E at 40?
20M: OB-16-3 (4 elements) at 80?; C3E at 40?
40M: OB-2-40M (2 elements) at 85?; full wave Delta
80M: 4 Square; Inverted Vee; Inverted L
160M: Inverted Vee; Inverted L
Receive Loops