[3830] ARRLDX SSB ZS/ES5TV(@ZS4/ARMY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB ZS/ES5TV(@ZS4/ARMY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:44:29 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZS/ES5TV
Operator(s): ES5TV
Station: ZS4/ARMY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Bloemfontein
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    0     0
   80:    7     7
   40:  123    27
   20:  295    46
   15:   20    11
   10:   19     9
-------------------
Total:  464   100  Total Score = 138,600

Club:

Comments:

During my long waited 3 week vacation in Africa I did not have much hopes to fit
ham radio into the busy travel schedule of my friends. Still things worked out
in a terrific way when Bernie, ZS4TX, after it became clear that his own station
is unavailable asked me whether I was interested in operating from ZS military
base with 25 element fixed log periodics to 3 directions including US covering
2-30 MHz:))

True indeed, John Smith, ZS6AN, is colonel in ZS army and charge of the whole
communications in central ZS. Bernie and John had for some time thought about
trying out this big ZS army HF station for Ham Radio. Only a year ago military
stopped using HF for their communications and the station was put out of use.
During the apatheid time the station was used for jamming Radio Free Angola with
big 10KW transmitters.

It is located on a hill abt 10 km out from Bloemfontein with nice clear path to
all directions. I am hugely obliged to Bernie and John as they set up the whole
station for me equipped with Bernie's 746 PRO and Heathkit linear. John made
adaptor cable to PL259 and I could choose between 3 log periodics and several
verticals. The wire log periodics are at 10 to 30m height and have full size
half wl elements up from 160m! You can see on of those on this picture:
http://www.lhv.ee/images/files/IMG_0838.JPG

I just had to fly in from Capetown and John took me to station Sunday afternoon
for the last quarter in ARRL SSB. Propagation to my little surpise were a bit
similar to northern EU meaning not too good at all;) I did manage some 20 QSOs
with US big guns on 10 and 15 and till 18-19 UTC had only 50 QSOs maybe. 20
meters was extremely difficult and to my biggest surprise it was LP propagation
only till 19 UTC. I thought the antennas are somehow messed up but Bernie
explained me that this is how it is in ZS:) It was very hard to get those LP
QSOs made. 3 minutes of repetitions and torture sometimes as even big guns had
big trouble hearing me.

I have to say that I really started wondering what the heck are some big US
Multi Ops using for logging - excel or notepad or sth??? As if there is no
master database or possible calls at all.

I worked some stations on 10 and 15 and their 20m Op just could not get the call
right. How many ZS/ did you work this contest I wonder??? I use TR and is this
really the only program providing Possible Calls?? If you type ZS/ you see
instantly what has been worked before. Guys, please teach your new ops some
elementary use of the log program features!

Somebody complemented on K3LR 20m station. Well, K3LR was the only US I heard on
20m for about 5 hours!!! Amazing signal indeed and they came back to me 5.5
hours before anybody else, only then I was able to work VY2ZM for 2nd 20m QSO.
Great job guys!

When the propagation turned SP everything changed within seconds. Had 2 140 QSO
hours with this long call. And 40m also opened well abt 2230 UTC. Went back to
40m at 2340 and had a tremendous 20 min pileup of 70 QSOs! That's quite OK on
40m split!

80m was tough indeed but still K3LR (of course), VO1MX, K1IR, VY2ZM, KM1R, W3LPL
and K1RX had good ears enough to pick my signal out. KC1XX did not move an
eyebrow despite all my efforts:)

160m was absolutely quiet, no stations or any signals whatsoever and not much
noise either;)

I really thank Bernie and John for this fantastic experience of hearing how the
bands sound from that part of the world. I was very glad to get to know John. He
is an extremely nice person and he actually has a very interesting business - he
organizes adventure tourism/confidence building/leadership training and ham
vacation activities in RSA. Having long experience in special forces and
survival he can put together a hunting safari or some other very exiting
activities for you in the country. You can check about his company and packages
from : http://www.malt-sa.co.za/
Here is a picture of me with Bernie and John:
http://www.lhv.ee/images/files/IMG_0840.JPG

Hope to have a chance to go back to this beautiful country at some point in
life.

73
Tonno
ES5TV