[3830] OrQP K7ZSD Fixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7zsd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] OrQP K7ZSD Fixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 12:48:33 -0700
                    Oregon QSO Party

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): K7JI, K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: Fixed HP
QTH: NW Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:
   40:   24    103
   20:   89    764
   15:   38    119
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

The band conditions seemed relatively good Saturday, but the afternoon was
difficult due to heavy atmospheric noise. Static crashes were S/9 on 40m and
20m, and 15m was the place to go for relief. I started the contest at the 7 am
starting time on 20m, with the band very quiet and an average 95 Q rate for the
first 3 hours. Dave, K7JI arrived with a second station at 10 am, and we
switched off operating as we set up for multi-two. Well, that took longer than
expected, about 12:30 we had the second station up and running, the computer
moved into the other room, the network going, but no keyboard cw. Dave operated
cw, keyer only, myself on phone, and we switched between 40m, 20m, and 15m
several times during the remainder of the party, with noisy bands and rates
averaging about a 100 Q?s an hour.

Operating two stations the last 6 hours of the test allowed a lot more time on
40m, resulting in many more Oregon counties worked, 28 out of the 36, as well as
the close in states to Oregon that have been missed in the past couple of years.
As usual, 20m was long, with the east coast coming through all day until the
end. We had a great time, and it was a pleasure working so many good operators.
Some were confused, there were four QSO parties going on, and Oregon is the only
party requiring a serial number. It would be great if there were a standard QSO
party format, so we could send logs to all the other parties for contacts to
their state. Maybe easier said than done. Many thanks to the Central Oregon DX
club for putting this together every year.