[3830] WPX CW NK7U(KL9A) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NK7U(KL9A) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 22:44:49 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): KL9A
Station: NK7U

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Baker City, OR
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   95
   40:  597
   20: 1404
   15:  570
   10:   15
------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Who knew 15m would be open ridiculously well over the pole for the entire first
day??? Awesome!!  Felt like I was in KL7 again at the cycle peak.

This contest had it all.  Great rate, no rate, and strange propagation.  Two
radios is really adding a lot of extra excitement for me.  I am staying more
motivated to not quit.  Amazing 40m condx the 2nd night, with not so amazing
high bands as expected.

Got to Joe's on Thursday evening, and promptly began breaking things.  We found
out later than it was really sabotaged from N6MJ's last operation there during
WPX SSB.  Luckily he left a bunch of soda in the fridge for me to make up for
it.  The 20m 5/5 stack has been the best Europe antenna at Joe's, and the top
one had a really high SWR (see above) and the bottom rotor was broken.  So we
swung it to about 20 degrees, and locked her down.  The single 5 el 20m beam at
57 feet was a killer!

Too much cool stuff to list here, but it was a fantastic contest.  Thanks to
KM7W (N6MJ@W6YI) and KR7X (KL2A@K7ZSD) for the stiff competition.  Congrats to
K5ZD!  If the 2nd day had only been like the first... :)

Old W7 record was 3.799 million points.

Thanks to Joe and Sharon for opening their home to me again!

-Chris KL9A

cbs.exe says 428 "probable" 2nd radio QSO's.