[3830] ARRL June VHF KB8U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KB8U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:45:40 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: KB8U
Operator(s): KB8U
Station: KB8U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN71
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  212    87
    2:  118    47
  222:   46    29
  432:   60    30
  903:   12    10
  1.2:   19    10
  2.3:    8     5
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:    3     3
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  478   221  Total Score = 150,059

Club:

Comments:

Only one decent E's opening on 6m to Texas/OK.  Lots of rain in the area limited
tropo openings and kept stations off the air due to lightning risks.  I missed
most of the rovers in Michigan.  On top of that, I had bad power line noise to
the south.  I even took 40 minutes off to direction-find it so I can call the
power company (again).

Things were shaping up to be one of the worst June contests so I took a little
nap Sunday afternoon when things got slow.  Apparently my slumber refreshed not
just the operator, but the VHF bands!  I missed maybe the first 30 minutes of
the big aurora opening, but there was not a dull moment for the next 3 1/2 hours
as the aurora ebbed and flowed.  I spent most of my time on 6m CW but moved to
2m and 222 MHz when signals were strong on 6m.  I even made an Au QSO on 432.
There was even another short Au opening on 6m a few hours later when I picked up
two W0 grids.

After the contest ended, I was surprised to see that I set a personal best score
because of my high mult count on 144 and 222 (thanks to the Aurora).

Thanks to all who called, especially the weak ones on 6 CW.  See you in the CQ
VHF test next month.

-Russell  KB8U