[3830] NCCC Sprint(7-8) K4BAI LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint(7-8) K4BAI LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 07:53:49 -0700
                    NCCC Thursday Sprint (7-8)

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 0:29
Radios: SO2R

  160:   0        0
   80:   0        0
   40:  17        ?
   20:  32        ?
---------------------
Total:  49     Mults = 12  Total Score = 588

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT1000MP x 2 (SO2R), TH6DXX, zepp and dipole for 40.  NA logging program.

At 0215Z, everything was set up and working perfectly.  Then, a strong smell of
something electrical burning up was evident.  No smoke.  XYL and I both
investigated using sense of smell and we both felt it must be the laptop
computer.  But, if so, why was it still working?  Turned out that some component
in the rotator control box behind the laptop had burned up.  No turning of the
TH6DXX.  Fortunately for this contest (but very unfortunately for IARU), the
beam was pointed west.  OK.  Check out the conditions on both 40 and 20.  They
seemed short with good signals from the west and also from closer in stations in
the east and midwest.  Very little QRN.  Got a "599" report from K7NV on 40 (he
was 559).  But, no answers on 20.  SWR was high when the tuner was not engaged.
Seemed the antenna resonated with the ATU, but got no answers to calls.  Tried
disconnecting the Dunestar filter and the SWR returned to normal.  Guess
something in the Dunestar has burned up.  Have another one, but at 0229Z didn't
take the time to hook it up.  Without the filter, still had NO interference from
40 M.
Highest QSO total and highest multiplier total yet.  Welcome to the newcomers
and thanks for helping make this a fun mid-week activity.

Hope to work many of you in the IARU contest this weekend, but it will no longer
be a serious effort.  I have reconfigured the station for SO1R high power so I
can use the zepp through the tuner on all bands 40-10 in order to work some
stations in the directions off the sides and back of the TH6DXX which will,
absent a last-minute technical intervention, be pointed only west for the
weekend.

73,

John, K4BAI.