[3830] IARU AA4LR SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU AA4LR SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:42:23 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   20      0      4
   40:   94      0     22
   20:   44     99     35
   15:   51     29     29
   10:   13     11     11
---------------------------
Total:  222    139    101  Total Score = 103,121

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Equipment:
K2/100 / KAT100 running 100 watts
Jury-rigged Power Supply (more on this)
N1MM Contest software

Antennas:
A3S at 15m (10m, 15m, 20m)
Sloper at 12m (40m)
Shunt feed 15m tower (80m)

Comments:

This is just a casual effort, operating off and on as the family time permitted.
Got on about an hour after the start and got off about an hour and a half later.
Managed to work a fair amount in the late afternoon and evening. Didn't manage
to spend too much time on the low bands, other than 40m CW.

Had planned to do almost even amount of CW and phone - switching back and forth
about every half hour. While this was a mostly S & P effort, I did manage a good
run on phone on 20m, and a couple of very nice runs on 40m and 15m CW.

There was one particularly odd moment on 40m. Just before 0240z, I tuned to
7008.5 to hear K9DX calling CQ. So I called him, and he called CQ. This ensued
for a minute or more -- K9DX was clearly calling CQ for the contest, and I and a
few others tried to answer him, and he'd just call CQ again. Finally, he stopped
CQing. I called QRL?, heard no answer, and then proceeded to call CQ with a very
nice run for 15m minutes.

Surprised to end up with so many CQ QSOs vs Phone. I was just having too much
fun on CW to switch. It was really satisfying on 40m to be running CW and not
have to ask for repeats (well, not too often). My practise with MorseRunner and
also FD must have helped.

I did waste some time during the contest. I heard 9K9HQ on 14220 around 2105z
with a HUGE pileup. I stayed in there and called for 20 minutes before I
realised he was really working east europe. I finally moved on and kept checking
back every couple of minutes. Finally, just before 2200z, I got through the pile
to work him -- since propagation had shifted to my advantage. I must say that
the operator at 9K9HQ was very effective and efficient in managing the pileup.

Enjoyed it thoroughly. Can't wait until the next 'test.