[3830] IARU N6WG SO CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] IARU N6WG SO CW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:55:36 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:    0     0       0
   80:    9     0       3
   40:   90     0      12
   20:  136     0      24
   15:   33     0      13
   10:   12     0       8
---------------------------
Total:  280     0      60  Total Score = 46,080

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

This was my first try at the IARU contest, and I worked strictly QRP cw with my
K2.  I didn't know what to expect from a summer contest, so I had no specific
goals for this running.  I was mainly interested in setting a benchmark for
future contests.

I took several breaks through the day, as conditions were just so-so.  I was
making contacts, but not like in the winter DX contests.  It seemed like many
contacts had to be fought for with great persistence :-)

I noticed things getting really thin in the early afternoon here, so I took time
out for a nap, expecting to be working overnight.  Instead, by local midnight, I
had accomplished what I wanted, so I hit the sack instead.  I'm sure I could
have run up a bigger score if I had stuck it out, but it seemed I had already
worked most every station I could hear.  At midnight, the JAs were beginning to
come in with decent signals, so I could have added a number of them if I'd stuck
with it.  By then, my bed was looking pretty good, though, and it won out.

I wound up with a bigger score than I had anticipated, and more QSOs too.  Ten
and 15 meters were pretty thin, but I pulled out a useful number of QSOs and
mults from them.  Twenty meters was my best band, as I imagine it was for most
others as well.  I expected more 80 cw activity than I found, though, so was
disappointed there.  Only worked 9 stations on 80.

I was struck by the stations/countries I didn't hear in this contest.  Very
few
Caribbean stations, understandable with the storm activity there.  Very little
So. America except for Brazil and Argentina.  Nothing from Southeast Asia or
Korea.  Very little from Europe, but that's nothing new here at any time of
the
year :-)

All in all, I had a fun time.  It was interesting comparing the propagation
sheets with what I was observing.  In the long run, they didn't add much to the
contest, as you can only work what you can hear, and that varied all over the
map.

Looking foreard to the next contest.

73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude