[3830] NAQP CW N4VI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4vi@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N4VI Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 13:35:14 -0700

Comments:

Rig:  TS870
Logging:  TR

Antennas:
160m:   See below
80m:    See below
40m:    See below
20m:    See below
15m:    2el (usually)switchable wire beam stuck on east
10m:    see above!

Hadn't operated since 2004 IARU, and from my own shack in even longer.  I
decided the easiest path was to fix my 15m wire beam which took a couple of
hours.  Unfortunately discovered it was no longer switchable due to the
condensed water in the case which had damaged the relays.  The solution was to
bypass the relay box and choose a direction.  No surprise that I selected east
as the preferred direction.

The goal was simply to operate a couple of hours to remember what it felt like.
The hope was operating would serve as inspiration to get antennas fixed.

15m was "ok" and since I didn't have antennas for other bands I pretty much ran
it as dry as I could.  Somewhere along the line it occurred to me that a
neighborly thing to do would be to give give k0rf Q's on all bands (he's about
5-7 miles LOS).  While waiting to find Chuck I discovered I could actually work
folks on the other bands.  I must say I'm repeatedly amazed what can happen if
you can get some current into the wire!  Thanks to TS870 antenna tuner for some
"good tuning"!  I did miss Chuck on 40m.

The highlight" of the contest occured when my 5th qso on 40m informed me we had
worked before.  I believe there was confusion between n4vi and n5vi!???  Also
thanks to all the stations that pulled my weak signal out, especially on 80m,
that was quite as task.

In summary I had fun and hope to have the station in better condition in two
weeks!

73

chris, n4vi