[3830] WAE CW K4BAI Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K4BAI Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:25:06 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA, USA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:56

   80:    0     0     0
   40:  128   128    28
   20:  321   319    44
   15:   13    13     9
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  462   460    81  Total Score = 175,180

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT1000MP, Alpha 78, TH6DXX, zepp.  MFJ Grandmaster electronic keyer with Kent
paddle.  MFJ antenna tuner for the zepp.  CTWIN logging program on laptop
computer.

Conditions were much worse than last year and my total QSOs were about half of
last year, when we had very good 15 meter openings.  I was able to work a few Eu
stations on 15 on Saturday, but heard none on Sunday.  The signals I heard were
on the direct, not skew, path, but were pretty weak except for CU2A and maybe a
few others.  There were a few I could hear, but who could not hear me calling
them.  I got NO answers to CQs on 15.

20 didn't appear to have any Eu signals during our night time (after 0130Z or
so) until 11 or 12Z in the mornings.  The morning opening was much better Sunday
than Saturday.  But, on both days absorption took out all but the very strongest
signals after 1400Z until around 1930Z.  1930 until 0030Z seemed the best times
for 20 into Europe this year.  No long path signals heard from Europe.

40 was noisy, but signals were pretty good for the most part.

We had thunderstorms nearby both afternoons and one came right overhead causing
me to QRT for about an hour on Sunday afternoon.  The resulting QRN was pretty
bad and I had one short period of rain static on Sunday.  Also had some local
noise problems.  I apologize to any that I couldn't pull through.

I didn't hear any Eu signals on 80 M this year above the 3525 khz mark.

Fun as always, but the activity level seemed much lower this year than usual, I
guess due to the bad propagation conditions.  Hope conditions will be much
better for the SSB contest next month.

Thanks for the QSOs and for taking the QTCs.

73,

John, K4BAI.