[3830] NA Sprint CW W1AW/6(N6AA) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, richardjnorton@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W1AW/6(N6AA) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:33:54 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W1AW/6
Operator(s): N6AA
Station: W1AW/6

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5

   80:
   40:  86       36
   20:
---------------------
Total:  86     Mults = 36  Total Score = 3,096

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Saturday at Riverside, CA ARRL Southwestern Division Convention:

Run ARRL Forum at 4 PM local time. Finish forum at 5:40 local (00:40 GMT) or
so.
Race across courtyard to Marriott Hotel. Up to 12th floor. Go into
W1AW/6 room. Has about 6 operating positions, including TV and VHF.
Find 20/80 meter position already busy.

Sit down at 40 meter position with an Icom IC-756PROIII, 100 watt
radio. Probably had a dipole or vertical on the roof.
Unfamiliar logging program found on the lap-top, with set-up requiring
callsign and name. Adopt the policy of logging Sprint by hand and
also entering the call and name in the computer for station log.
Successfully find mode button and make radio work on CW. Turn small
knob and make paddle-sent CW come out at reasonable speed, as computer keying
was not set up. Give up trying to figure how to make program indicate CW rather
than SSB, and ask for help. Station manager tells me how.

Hear guys in Sprint. Call a few stations. Get beat out. First QSO at 0048 with
K7NV. It's working!

Work more guys. Usually always get beat out if someone else calls. Not
always however.

Convention banquet started at 7 PM (0200 GMT). Make last contact at 7:13. Race
back to convention hall. Miss salad course of meal. Eat main course. Request
salad. Eat it later.

Ward Silver, N0AX, starts banquet speech.
During talk, check watch. Getting close to 9 PM. Hmmm. Can't escape room and
return to rig as I'm in the front of room. Contemplate feigning coughing
attack, and leaving, but the talk is pretty good. Stay till end.
Out of the fertile N0AX mind comes some good stuff on occasion.
Actually the talk was so good that I complimented him on it, as did
almost everyone there.

Banquet ends after 9 PM. Sprint over. Too late to return to W1AW/6.

In all the haste, forgot about plan to use Hiram as name for Sprint!
QSL cards for W1AW/6 go to W6TKV.

73,

Dick, N6AA, op.