[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KB8U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF KB8U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:59:57 -0700
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: KB8U
Operator(s): KB8U
Station: KB8U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN71
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

    6:  207    79
    2:  164    50
  222:   58    29
  432:   85    32
  903:   25    17
  1.2:   30    20
  2.3:   11    10
  3.4:    8     6
  5.7:
  10G:    5     4
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  590   247  Total Score = 226,746

Club:

Comments:

The contest started out with good tropo to the east and lasted throughout the
contest.  The high point of the contest was working a guy who had been on the
air for 40 something years and I was his first 432 contact ever.  He was using
an 11 element beam -in his shack- at a distance of about 150 miles with strong
signals.  I told him he chose the right day to try 432!

On top of that, the Aurora started out around 11pm local on Saturday and never
did entirely stop until hours after sunrise.  Signals generally weren't strong
but lots of mults were picked up, including some on 222.  I tried to tough it
out all night but slept for 2 hours starting 5am.

Where was all the Es skip for the June ARRL VHF contest?  Apparently it was
rescheduled for September!  Good openings to the southern states on Sunday kept
the Sunday afternoon dulldrums away.

I spent the last hour looking for K2DRH to pick up 5 or 6 mults.  The minute the
contest ended, he showed up on my frequency and said he had been looking for me.
 Them's the breaks.  I'm not complaining, my score this time around is more than
twice what I've done in the past Sept. contests I've entered.

Thanks to all who called who were 'just handing out points'

Very 73, Russ  KB8U