[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K9JK/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hamk9jk@ameritech.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K9JK/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:08:07 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  188    57  Total Score = 16,929

Club: Badger Contesters

Comments:

I roved with 6 bands and covered 6 grids in less than 9 hours of operating,
Saturday only. All bands were 'barefoot', though 'barefoot' is 100W for the
FT-100D on 50 MHz, 25W on 144, 222 and 432, 10W on 903 and 1296. Antennas were
my KB6KQ loop for 50 and "olde faithful"...my Create CLP-5130-2 Log Periodic for
the higher bands.

I got a late start from my driveway (EN52)...first QSO at 1826, 6 more Qs before
I left the driveway and one from EN52 while I was driving down to EN51. Spent
just shy of an hour in EN51 for 18 more QSOs, then to EN61 for about the same
amount of time and 33 more QSOs. EN62 was mobile mostly, though I did stop along
the way for about 15 minutes to catch a few more QSOs (10 to be precise) and
then worked eight more (8) while mobile as I approached downtown Milwaukee. Next
stop was in EN63 for just over an hour that yielded 37 QSOs. After that, I
headed west toward my EN53 spot and made a stop for dinner (and OTHER important
"refreshment function") before continuing to the actual spot. My hour and 45
minutes there yielded 62 QSOs until I departed just after 0230. Stopped again in
EN52 just before 0300 as I reached I-43 and gathered another 9 QSOs plus a DUPE
in about 15 minutes, then made a stop at that rest area along I-43 Westbound and
added three more QSOs in about 5 minutes...my last log entry was at 0343.

Of my 188 QSOs, 119 were in WI and 69 in Illinois so line 2 of my Cabrillo file
will be "ARRL-SECTION: WI"

I also "achieved" (and if ever there was a "dubious" achievement...this may be
it) my first over $50 fill-up...$53 for just shy of 18 gallons...about 220 miles
driven so I didn't quite break 1 QSO per mile (and I idled a lot with the A/C on
because it was fairly warm).

Here's a bit of a tabular summary (will look best with a Mono-spaced or
Fixed-width Font):
                BAND            SECTION
FROM   50 144 222 432 903 1.2   IL   WI
EN51    3   6   3   3   2   1   18    -
EN52    4   6   3   4   1   2    8   12
EN53   14  20  10  13   2   3    -   62
EN61    6   9   7   9   1   1   33    -
EN62    2   8   5   3   -   -   10    8
EN63    6  12   7   8   2   2    -   37

Thanks to ALL who were out there, especially to the 40 other participants
(including 4 other rovers) that I was able to work and to the ARRL for their
sponsorship.

73, JK