[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N9DG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9dg@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N9DG Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:03:00 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  327   141  Total Score = 61,053

Club: Badger Contesters

Comments:

Well this one was considerably better than the June contest here. Conditions
overall were better, though not particularly great tropo-wise here. At the open
of the contest I was hearing some 2M stuff out of a few FN0x grids but could not
get their attention. On 222 and 432 the conditions seemed very normal, not bad,
but not enhanced either. Frustratingly I could hear some to my east getting into
some tropo to the Northeast that I simply wasn?t hearing ? but then that?s life
on the VHF+ weak signal bands.

With the very dry conditions here I noticed that nonspecific noise in general
was noticeably higher than normal. During the Sunday afternoon doldrums all that
noise had effectively masked the weaker stations. I also noted rather loud
S5-ish Sun noise on 2M for both Saturday evening?s sunset and Sunday morning?s
sunrise. I don?t usually hear Sun noise that pronounced.

AU and Es, what can I say, I did manage to pick up a number of extra grids and
Q?s that I would not have otherwise thanks to both of those events. The AU was
not nearly as strong as June though, the Sunday evening 6M E was only for a
couple of hours and rather limited geographically. I too had a really hard time
getting the attention of many of those loud 4 land signals on 6M during this Es
opening. That was indeed a bit strange.

So overall I?m pretty happy with my results for this one.

Duane
N9DG