[3830] ARRL Sep VHF VA3KA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3ka@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF VA3KA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 04:39:49 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  243   123  Total Score = 45,141

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Wow. Great contest, my best ever effort. Increased my score from my previous
best (June 2005) by 8,000 points. Made less 6M QSO's than June but increased my
QSO's on all the other bands 144-1296 in particular on 222, 432 and 903.

I found conditions relatively flat during the day on Saturday but very
interesting 6M prop. Saturday night. While pointing north working Au QSO's I
heard a W4 in FL off the back off the beam. Swung south and there was a Es
opening! I need a second 144 yagi (in the plans for net June!). Some Au again on
Sunday but generally poor conditions in the afternoon (had to struggle to work
K1TEO !!).

It was great working a  number of stations on 5 and 6 bands, especially K2LDT/R
(FN24 and FN23), W2SZ (FN32), N2PA (FN12), KC2NRU (FN12) and K3EAR (FM19).

The new DEMI 903 xverter is hot! Really happy with it's performance.

The local rover VE3WCC/R provided many QSO's/points. We were able to work on 4
bands from 2 grids (FN16/FN26) and 6 bands from 4 grids (FN25/FN15/FN14/FN24).
Thanks Tom (VA3NFA) and Brad (VE3BSM)!!. I would be great to have a few more
rovers in the area!!

Also a special thanks to all the locals who came out and gave  many QSO's/points
on multiple bands!

Made some station improvements before the contest. Went from 8 el on 144 to 14
el and 6 el on 222 to 17 el. Also added a 1296 pre-amp. Got the 432 amp repaired
but the 144 160W amp had a problem and had to replace it with an 80W amp.

50     Ten-Tec Xverter  80W     5el @ 60 feet
144    Yaesu FT736R     80W    14el @ 45 feet
222    Yaesu FT736R    100W    17el @ 40 feet
432    Yaesu FT736R    100W    28el @ 45 feet