[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K0HA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0ha@navix.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K0HA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:21:03 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  281   111  Total Score = 31,191

Club:

Comments:

Another 6M effort from the VHF hinterlands here in Nebraska.  I thought that I'd
prepare a different sort of contest report.  I recorded all of my QSO?s made and
edited them down to about 13 1/2 minutes of audio.  Actually, not all of them
were included in the report.  Originally I was going to include parts of each of
them.  However, in reviewing the Es portion, I found them too close to what
everyone has already experienced on 6M.  Too much volume and report size without
doing much good...

So, all of the Pre-Es QSO?s are included in my audio report.  That includes
those made from the start of the contest until 2200z on Sunday.  If you worked
me during that period you can hear your ?5 seconds of fame? on my audio report.
I also added my final contest QSO with KB8U at 0208z (Monday UTC) [not via Es]
and some comments made by K7BV/4 at 0111z Monday (who is helping with hurricane
relief communications) which seemed appropriate for an ending...

I have the audio file in both .mp3 and .wma form. They are both big files (about
6.5 meg). I can send either to anyone direct if you are interested in hearing
what the contest sounded like from my station.  Just email me direct at
k0ha@arrl.net .

There are a bunch of stories which can be told about my audio report.  W7USB
DN17 had a strong signal at 0611 while beaming to 55º.  Take a listen to the
strength of that (regular log reports don't provide much of a feel for
particulars like that).

W7RV DM43 was worked at 1537z. He had a strange sounding signal with several
brief MS peaks. That's also a nice one to hear...

N0JK's ID sounds so much better than when he's sending me his grid (I had my
beam on him when he sent the ID). There's also an example of making two QSO's at
one time in the recording. K0MVJ and W3SO were CQing on the same frequency at
the same time. I had already worked W3SO but needed K0MVJ and so called him.
But, both thought that I was calling them and you can hear the result...

WO4DX EM74 was probably via MS (he briefly had a strong signal then) when he was
worked at 1943z on Sunday (K4XR EM64 was weak when worked at 1704z). Those are
both interesting to hear. Notice how much weaker WO4DX was by the time that he
was saying his grid.

You can hear parts of this happening, but W4NH couldn't hear my calls on
SSB so I started calling on CW.  You can hear his mention of listening for the
cw station and our QSO in the audio.  While this audio form of contest reporting
is helpful, I left out the numerous times that I was calling W4NH (and other
stations) without them hearing me.  And you don't hear the repeats which are
sometimes necessary.  The included audio for each QSO was generally the best
that I heard...

While you don't really hear it on the audio provided, solar flares on Sunday
morning were causing a high solar noise when beaming east. At times I was
changing my Yagi's heading to compromise on the noise vs. the signal
desired...

I worked AU from 0524 (although K7RE DN84 was pretty AU sounding at 0404) until
0851z on UTC Sunday.  Early, beaming 45 - 60º was best for most signals.
Later,
beaming 330º was best (K9NS's signal peaked beaming that direction around
0830z).  I also had a short AU opening on Sunday between 2119 - 2143 (K8EB EN73,
KM0T EN13 and K0SQ EN35 were worked then).

K9NS EN52 was the standout mid-distance station while N2PA was the dominant
longer distance station. Both were copied the vast majority of the time
throughout the contest.

It was a time consuming job doing all of the audio editing required to put my
project together.  I need some time away from it all now to get the correct
perspective on whether it was worth the effort or not...

73,  Bill     K0HA