[3830] CQWW SSB VO1MP SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gussam@nl.rogers.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VO1MP SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:47:21 -0800

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Overlay Category : OVER-50
Default Exchange : 5
Gridsquare : GN27
Name : Gus Samuelson
Address : 28 Skinners Road
          St.Phillips
City/State/Zip : Portugal Cove  NL  a1m1s1
Country : Canada

ARRL Section : NL
Club/Team : East Coast Canada Contest Club
Software: N1MM Logger V5.9.0

        Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty   ZN
         1.8       3      6    3    2
         3.5     192    513   71   16
           7     317    874   83   18
          14    1163   3217  109   28
          21    1026   2925  112   27
          28     144    365   39   12
       Total    2845   7900  417  103

           Score : 4,108,000
Rig : YAESU   FT 1000MP
Amp : Alpha   87a

Antennas :
160 -  Shunt Fed Tower ( Broke)
80  = 2 Dipoles
40  = 2 element switchable Delta Loop Array & Dipole
20  = 5 el OWA  de  VO1MP
15  = 5 el OWA  de  VO1MP
10  = 5 el OWA  de  VO1MP

Soapbox :

Another CQWW  in the books .. conditions were better than expected and even 10
meters provided  some activity ?. Was  feeling pretty good at beginning of the
contest ?.. thought I  would have antennas for all bands ??. first time in a
fairly long time ?  however .. Murphy at least allowed me to make 3 contacts on
160 before he figured this antenna needed more work ?. Today is Tuesday after
the contest weekend  and had to totally rework the shunt feed system now it
plays like it is supposed to ?. At least for another while ? (=: ??

Had a few good runs when I wasn?t doing S & P , managed a couple of nice rates
to kinda get the adrenalin going . First time ever to use A DXCluster  during a
contest  so at times I was very SO-AB-HP-distracted ? the system at K1TTT  loads
of fun though   !!! Not sure it made much difference to my score ?

Having used CT  for 16 years or more??..  initially I was reluctant to switch to
a Windows XP compatible based contest logger ? In any event I can not say enough
about the N1MM contest program as the weekend wore on I was totally fascinated
by the abilities of this great piece of software and how it runs so smoothly
with rig control and a cluster connection?.
I  was well into the contest before I figured out THIS PROGRAM  eliminates a lot
of typing ???? ?
Here are some of the interesting stats generated post contest by the program

8.0 per minute (1 minute(s)), 480 per hour
6.9 per minute (10 minute(s)), 414 per hour
4.7 per minute (60 minute(s)), 279 per hour

I include these to demonstrate to the SA and Caribean guys  that it is possible
to have a decent rate  even if you sign AFTER EVERY qso .. ..
But this is like beating a dead horse ?. It seems the veteran DX operators
understand this ..but every contest season we seem to get a batch of First Time
away from home types !!! Enough soapbox ?..

All of my antennas played very well ?..(except 160 )
Hopefully they will get through SOME of our winter

Total Time Off 13.45 hours
Total Time On  34.55 hours

Look forward to the CQWWCW test  and hope conditions co-operate again ?.

73 C?Y?all Next one
GLWCDR