[3830] CQWW SSB W6PH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6PH SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:08:50 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:    7     5        6
   80:   57    14       25
   40:  196    23       43
   20:  386    30      101
   15:  363    26       75
   10:   57    10       17
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Equipment:  TS-930S, SB-200, CT 9.57
Antennas:  Inverted L, 46' vertical, 25' horizontal (base loaded for 160m)
           40-2CD at 60' (AB-577)
           A3S at 40' (Rohn 25)
           HB 2 el 20M yagi at 50' (2nd AB-577)

Bottom line at the top:  I had a lot of fun.

The only equipment problem was with my LK-500ZB right before the contest.  One
of the 3-500Zs developed a grid-filament short so I resorted to my back up
SB-200 which I have owned since 1966.  I figure that I lost 4 db of signal
strength because of this (600 watts output instead of 1500 watts).  There were
many times that I could have used that.  Very frustrating to have stations CQ in
my face.  160M isn't very much fun with only 100 watts but at least I had a
signal on 160M this year.  Most of my contacts other than JA were S&P.  It was
fruitless trying to CQ.  I echo N2IC's comment about the stations in the
northwest with their pipeline to Europe.  I couldn't hear the stations they were
working.  Absolutely amazing to hear the full 20M band at 2359Z and then one
minute later silence across the band.  Achieved one of my goals of working 100
countries on 20m.  Great time.

I will be active from VP9/W6PH for both ARRL CW and SSB.

                               73, Kurt, W6PH/6