[3830] SS CW K7GK(@K7ZSD) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K7GK(@K7ZSD) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:07:42 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7GK
Operator(s): K7GK
Station: K7ZSD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  122
   40:  441
   20:  403
   15:  238
   10:
------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

I was back at the Smoke Ranch a week after a fun M/2 in WW SSB and a year after
my first SS attempt from K7ZSD's. Surprisingly, going from low to high power
didn't make me feel much louder. 15 wasn't nearly as good this year from up here
and 10 didn't seem worth it at all after a quick check Sunday around noon. In
fact the rates were frightfully close for a few hours in the beginning:

'04 Low Power

  HOUR   80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW    10CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   21       0       0       0      64      17      81      81
   22       0       0       0      80       1      81     162
   23       0       0      15      41       0      56     218
    0       0      11      47       3       0      61     279
    1       0      72       0       0       0      72     351

'05 High Power

  HOUR   80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW            TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------           -----   -----
   21       0       0      22      60              82      82
   22       0       0      38      44              82     164
   23       0       1      54       6              61     225
    0       0      20      43       0              63     288
    1       0      77       0       0              77     365

If 15 times more power just made up for propagation decline in one year, what am
I to do in 2006??

Before the contest I had a feeling that the NL is going to be the toughest
section to get. I just didn't realize exactly how hard. The only station heard
was VO1HP (I'm really surprised to find out that there were several NL stations
around). He was really light and the pile-up was out of control - people calling
non-stop without listening, carriers, the works. I wrote down the frequency on
the piece of paper and was fortunate to come back later. He was up to about S6
and I got through after a few tries. After that I haven't heard another VO
station. All this meant that my run radio had to be on a band other than 20 for
a while, which resulted in a loss of rate since 15 wasn't producing.

All in all it was great fun. Power outage due to bad weather made it a little
exciting. Thankfully, Brad's place has a back-up generator and the contest went
on pretty much uninterrupted. The down side was that one of the rotator boxes
didn't like the power surge and for a while the 40M and the upper 20M beams were
not pointing where they should have been.

And what's up with those who spot you with a wrong section? I know, it's mostly
my fault for using my own call from a QTH in a different state. But would it be
an issue if QRZ.com and other on-line callbooks weren't around? I wonder how
many fills could have been avoided. And I'm generally in favor of packet and
certainly appreciate the spots.

Once again, many thanks to Brad and Ruth for great hospitality.

Denis - K7GK