[3830] SS SSB VO1HE Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VO1HE Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:31:54 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: St. John's
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
  160:    0
   80:   13
   40:   36
   20:  360
   15:  158
   10:    0
------------

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

Not a bad effort for me. Low bands are not my forte so the early going was more
difficult. Went to bed early to get a early start but I think it was too early.
Not much on the bands at 1000 UTC. Once 20 started to open, it got better.
Unfortunately, my beam decided to freak out for some reason. Wouldn't resonate
anywhere so I changed over the intermediate cable with no effect. Switched on
the tuner and that only made it mildly workable until it decided to cooperate
again and all was fine.

Got a nice pileup going on 20M. Surprised that I found a clear place to call
but, like usual, it didn't stay clear too long. There weren't a lot of VOs on
this contest so I guess that made the pileup better for me. When it started
getting difficult to hear stations I tried working the numbers and was quite
pleased that most of the stations allowed me to do this. I tried to work
everyone I heard and I think I got to work more than I would have had I just ran
it open.

15 never opened as good as I had hoped but I got a few good runs going. Lots of
QSB though. 10 didn't open at all.

Anyway, I managed to get AK but missed MB, NT and PAC. Heard a couple MB but
they couldn't hear me. I think I heard the VY1 but can't be sure and never heard
anything from PAC at all.

Had lots of fun but never got to eat at all during the day. Next year is solar
minimum (I think) so it will be a challenge to better this score but there's
always hope :)

Thanks to all who called. Sorry to the stations I just couldn't pick out of the
noise.

73 -- Paul VO1HE