[3830] SS SSB N5ZC/REMOTE SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rmthorne@cox.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N5ZC/REMOTE SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:23:57 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N5ZC/REMOTE
Operator(s): N5ZC
Station: N5ZC

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WTX
Operating Time (hrs): 11

------------
  160:
   80:  104
   40:   49
   20:  169
   15:  201
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

After 26 years I've finally realized that SSB contesting stinks compared to CW.
I had two great first hours over 100 q's each.  It was down hill from there, I
just didn't feel loud on 40 and 80 and really couldn't get any good runs going.
However, I worked most stations I called on the first call.  I was even told I
was loud, but I just could not get any decent runs going after the beginning of
the contest.

The F12 C3 at 75 feet is a bit high for domestic contests, and the sloping
dipoles didn't get the job done this year.  Who knows maybe it was propagation
from this end because in the past the antennas for the low bands seem to work
pretty well.

On a positive note, the remote station played very well again.  I used Carl's
(N4PY) software for control.  After the CW test I asked Carl if he would write a
driver that would sense my foot switch attached to an open com port.  He got it
done in about 5 minutes.  Having a foot switch to key the remote TS-480 sure
made things easier.  I didn't have to rely on VOX.

I have more info about the remote on qrz.com

73,

Rich - N5ZC