[3830] SS SSB K4XS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K4XS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 02:52:28 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   54
   40: 1143
   20:  726
   15:  124
   10:
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

SS this year seemed like two contests  First day was a blast.  Day two was a
grind.

Day one started out with a 140 hour on 20 and two personal record hours in SS
for me of 164 and 155 on 40.  It looked like I was going to have a personal best
in SS and I went to bed feeling pretty good although I was missing a couple of
key mults...KL7, and NT.

Day two was work.  I found it hard to generate deep runs even on clear
frequencies, and my best hour was a 73, with most hours running around 50 to 60.
S/P was a grind on 20 since signals were LOUD and the band was crowded, and the
same was true on 40.  15 was better but had the same old faces over and over,
W6XYZ and W7XYZ.  I saved the last hours for 40, hoping I could repeat the
enormous runs from the first night, but even that was a grind, with ESP level
signals and high QRN from approaching T-storms.  I finished the last ten minutes
of contest with accompanied by some YL or some testoterone depleted guy
repeating "Xray Tango, again, again" in a screechy voice over and over.  The
second day it felt like the stacks were too high and the angles of arrival were
much higher than the first day.  Just a guess!

I was ahead of WP3R by 200 around 1400Z, but he was kicking butt and I have no
doubt he passed me.  K5TR was around 100 ahead at 2300Z, but I never heard a
peep from him after 0000Z so it should be an interesting finish.

Thanks to all of you gave me a QSO and especially the FCG CW guys who found a
mic and got on to give me a couple of points.

Random thoughts:

Why would a ham try to establish a QSO by calling CQ on 14275 over and over on
Sunday afternoon during SS?

Why is it that during a 100+ hour run, you get a guy who gives you a 5/9
Michigan and when you try to get a complete report he disappears, ruining your
rhythm?

How come you can waste several minutes trying to pull a KL7 out of the mud who's
calling you, only to have him disappear without being able to complete the QSO
and then have four or five KL7 stations call all loud and Q5.

Why can't the receiving station get double points for pulling QRP guys out of
the muck on 40.

I'll be back for my share of the fun next year!

73.....XS