[3830] SS SSB N4OX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4OX@webtv.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N4OX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 12:24:04 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N4OX
Operator(s): N4OX
Station: N4OX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  382
   40:  510
   20:  859
   15:   76
   10:
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group  Panhandle

Comments:

Another Field day type operation. Rented two portable lifts.....a 60 footer and
an 80 footer. Antennas were a two element shorty forty Cushcraft on the 80 foot
lift and an old Telrex TB6EM tri-bander on the 60 foot lift. Put up a dipole at
60 feet SE/NW for 80/75 in the few trees that the huricanes of the past few
years have left standing. Hurricane Ivan claimed 18 pine trees and the next two
huricanes finished off all the other pine trees except the most hearty. As some
of you know, I live on the grounds of an elementary school and can't have any
permanent towers, so I have been perfecting the OX portable contest set up since
2000. Unfortunately, I had to work Friday night, so all set up was done on
Saturday morning starting at 0700. Set up was completed by 1100 including fine
tuning the 75/80 meter dipole. I had planned on being done at 0900, but as you
all know, antenna work always takes twice as long as you thought. Rotor on the
40 meter antenna didn't work and decided to point it NE and use a 40 meter
vertical for west coast. I don't think not being able to turn the 40 meter
antenna was much of a handicap. The 40 meter vertical played well even with only
16 temporary contest radials underneath it. Hopefully my score will hold for my
first ever top ten finish in SS. I have alot of respect for those ops who make
the top ten year after year.

73, Jay N4OX

P.S.-----Thanks to Chris Ressler, my son Phillip's best friend who is living
with me before he joins my son in the USMC for his help in setting up.