[3830] CQWW CW N6WG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N6WG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:37:30 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    1     1        1
   80:    7     2        2
   40:   10     6        5
   20:   69    17       25
   15:   35     9       14
   10:    2     2        2
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I really had to struggle with this contest, with conditions well below the
threshold where I can enjoy the contest.  Heard many familiar DX calls, but
unlike the past, they either couldn't hear me or needed a number of repeats.

I had one high point and one low for the contest.  Saturday night I worked HC8N
in the Galapagos on 160m with my 5w.  Then early Sunday morning when I came
out
to my REALLY cold shack in the garage, my heavy coat brushed against some
combination of buttons on the K2 front panel, a bunch of relays went whiz, and
I saw magic smoke escaping from some part.  Got the power off to keep from
making things worse, then later found an open RF choke and replaced it. When I
tried to put the K2 back together, I had lost a tiny spacing insulator for the
PA transistors, so couldn't get back on the air.  Got parts on order and hope to
be on for the 10 Meter contest next weekend.

My initial plan for the weekend was 100 Qs and 20K points, considering the
conditions and my QRP station with wire antennas.  Once I broke through these
goals, I hoped to get up to at least 130 Qs, with a faint hope of also reaching
30K points.  But fell short.

Were there really fewer DX stations on this time, or was I just not able to hear
them?

Good luck and 73,
Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude