[3830] CQWW CW ZL4BR SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ZL4BR SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:08:52 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL4BR
Operator(s): ZL4BR
Station: ZL4BR

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: New Plymouth
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:
   80:
   40: 1060    34      106
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1060    34      106  Total Score = 433,720

Club:

Comments:

I was on my own again I concluded that it would be impossible to beat last years
qso total, so I may as well chase the multipliers.

Overall conditions on the first night did not seem as good as last year and of
course there was the Chinese radar which was not on the air for the 04 WW, but
still enjoyed some good long W/JA/EU runs. Eu signals were still coming thru for
up to two hours after sunrise. Went to bed for a few hours feeling a bit
disappointed with qso rate and country multiplier total which had only reached
64.

On the second night I decided to change to Assisted and use the telnet cluster.
It proved to be a good move, much more interesting and fun and finished with a
country multiplier total of 106, which from this remote part of the world is
good going. As a general rule, if I could hear them I could work them and it was
pretty easy to bust the pile ups and work most of the rarer stations such as the
3B8 and FP. But some of the weekend trip to the Caribbean type stations could
not be heard at all. Maybe they were using multi-band trap verticals which in my
opinion are more fit to be used as fishing rods than transmitting antennas.

Dupes, can't understand why I get more dupes in this contest than any other,
with 30 last year and 30 this year. Doesn't help I guess when I get spotted as
ZL2BR, ZL4BB, ZL4BE and ZL4B, and then get several dupes calls in a row. Not a
problem though, I'm just happy to work everyone as many times as they like.

Just one technical hitch, on the second night my ADSL modem kept disconnecting,
about 25 times or more. At first thought was RF which I'd previously cured with
some rf chokes, but it was occurring even when I wasn't transmitting. Had very
strong gusty winds all weekend so maybe it was the overhead lines. Sometimes I
had to unplug and replug the modem from/to the pc to get it to connect again,
and had no disconnect problems for the final three hours.

Rig: TS-2000, AL-80B and GP @ 6m
N1MM Logger worked perfectly all weekend.

Thanks for the q's, 73 es dit dit

Frank, ZL4BR