[3830] CQWW CW W0AH SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W0AH SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:59:30 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W0AH
Operator(s): W0AH
Station: W0AH

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:
   80:   86    14       39
   40:   95    22       55
   20:  252    26       87
   15:  140    21       66
   10:   31    10       17
------------------------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

My third contest (others:June VHF, SSB SS)from lot in upstate SC.  Used unity
gain antennas: a 70' sloping wire from 50' in a tree on 40/80 with my new
FT-857D (see story) and FC-40 ATU, and a 10/15/20 trap dipole at 40' with
JST-245.  The results are another testament to how much better east coast
locations are compared to the the left coast for DX tests, though I'll never
admit it when the house is built and I get my better antennas up in about a year
and become somewhat competitive!  My main goal was to work 100 countries after
working all states in the SS last weekend. That was easy and these quickie
antennas performed better than expected.  After reading my Grand Mesa club
comrades' reports (from W0ETT, K0FX, K0RI, and N2IC plus my Colorado neighbor
N0VD's 40M HP report) I'm convinced that on  15, 40, and 80 I did better with
these low unity gain antennas than I would have done with my 15 and 40
monobanders and 80M delta loop back in Colorado.  I worked only 4 JA's (two on
20 and two on 40M), about the number of Europeans I would probably work with LP
on 80 M from Colorado. From here with the wire, I worked 20 European countries
on 80M. Unfortuately, my 70' sloping wire did not load on 160M, despite the
Yaesu claims. The FC-40 tuner, however, was FB on 40/80M.  Working more
countries on 40 and 80 than K0FX running HP in Colorado (and almost as many on
40 as N0VD SO HP 40M) was an eyeopener, especially considering the hearing
problems I had on 40/80 with the FT-857D.  I had no CW filter and the audio DSP
was considerbly inferior to a crystal filter.  To make matters much worse, I had
to use the little radio's speaker.  The mini jacks for earphones and CW are
recessed, and the recessed holes were too small to accept the standard size
adaptors I had on hand.  Thus no headphones and no use of my comuter keying on
40/80.  I'll be here for the 160M test and hope to add wire to my 70' sloping
wire to make it resonnate on 160M next weekend.  Thanks to everyone who worked
me.  I heard the above mentioned stations and many others from Colorado.  Since
I was 100% S&P, I doubt I was heard back there.
Doug W0AH