[3830] CQWW CW K5NA SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@texas.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K5NA SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:37:09 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 44

  160:   56    17       43
   80:  187    31      112
   40:  246    37      132
   20:  333    37      135
   15:  232    29      109
   10:   51    15       31
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I spent the weekend being a DXer and not a contest. I decided to do what was fun
and not go seriously for a score. So doing a laid-back single-op assisted seemed
to be just the right thing.

Friday night was some of the best 80M conditions that I have ever experienced
from Texas. Imagine my surprise when at the end of the first night, I already
had 96 countries on 80M. I ended up with 112 countries and 31 zones on 80M and
both are personal bests by a wide margin.

98 percent of my operation was search and pounce and chasing packet spots. I
think I only called CQ briefly three different times when I was getting really
bored. But usually a needed mult would appear on packet and I would cut the
CQing short to run off to chase the mult in a big pileups.

The continuous calling in the pileups was worst this year than ever before. It
really effected my ability to hear the DX stations come back to me. And as soon
as other stations realized that the DX station wasn't being responded to, their
continuous calling started up again. So when the DX station called a second
time, he was still being covered up. This is a contagious thing and it just
takes one continuous caller to start doing it and immediately almost everybody
follows suit. I was guilty too at times.

Even though I wasn't serious about score this year, I was certainly serious
about being "in the chair". Writelog says I put in 44 hours this year, but I was
in the chair for about 47 hours. I have learned to catnap with my headphones on
and I had at least 4 QSOs in each of the 48 hours of the contest.

It is interesting that as I grow older, the time goes by faster and the contests
seem shorter. Time seems to compress now for me and the contests seem to be over
soon after they have started. I am actually disappointed when the contests
finish and wish they could run longer. I don't know why this is happening to me
and I certainly didn't feel this way 20 years ago. I would certainly hate to see
a rule to shorten or restrict operator time in the contest because that would
take away the fun of getting the full contest experience.

73, Richard - K5NA